My Tadpole Project (update--overdue)

srdavo

Local time
1:34 AM
I've been working on this for a few days now.....working, studying & planning. I finally have a little something to show.

first of all, I wanted to give it some ground clearance.....instead of 4", I have 12". I also made the frame 1 foot longer... to allow for engine mounting, behind the seat. (I haven't decided on a powerplant yet :confused:)

100_2565eec.jpg

I am not yet pleased with my steering geometry, but for grins... I have it standing on it's own 3 wheels.
Speaking of wheels....look at the spokes on these! I don't know what gauge they are, but they measure 1/8"!! The axles are a 5/8" bolts.

100_2566ee.jpg

I was making good progress today, but ran out of welding wire! :eek: The welding supply store, down the street was already closed.

100_2567eeec.jpg C-clamps to the rescue!!

sidenote: I found metal cutting blades for my circular saw for <$3 apiece.
here's a couple pics of my ghetto chopsaw. :unsure:

100_2568.JPG100_2572.JPG

100_2571.JPG Swinging on a door hinge.....sitting on an old BBQ grill. (not a lot goes to waste around here.)
Works like a charm!!

wow

Been wanting to build a motorized tadpole ever since Alaskavan built his incredible machine, so I clicked on this post for some ideas to steal. :devilish: Found one......heck with the tadpole.....I'm building a cut off saw. :D

Wow, van, that engine is exactly what I need. Do you know anything about manufacturer, quality, etc? It looks good, but then pics usually do. I need to get some tech specs on that unit - dimensions, etc.

It would (depending on dimensions) make a great rack mount power plant above the rear wheel of a recumbent tadpole - heck, put it up on a rack mount over the rear wheel of the full suspension tadpole I've drawn up, or to one side and behind an NV mid-drive unit using the secondary input sprocket Staton installs, and still have a flatbed cargo area only an inch and a half above the rear axle.

It's exactly the same dimensions as the one I put on my trike. They weigh about 42 lbs., which is pretty heavy for most rack mounts. Not so much trouble on a trike. They are usually made by Lifan. I have about 4,000 miles on mine now, and have had very little trouble with it. Lots more power and rpm range than an HT.

Okay. Your sig is useful - I googled the engine, searched around and found rough dimensions, which are 17L x 10.25W x 8.25H. Since my current delta chopper truck design has an under bed clear space behind the running gear that is 14L x 20.5W x 10.5H, with the bed overhag in back extending another 11.25 inches, it's a perfect fit. For that matter, I could use a jackshaft and offset the NV mid-drive to the left of center, the engine to the right of center, and still go with a Shimano as a 3 speed "differential" 5th member.

That would put all the machinery weight forward of the rear axle and below axle height - that sucker might scrub and slip sideways in turns, but you'd have to work at it with 55 lbs of engine and power transmission system weight centered at 9 inches off the ground.

Back