best method for rust removal?

You are probably going to have to paint those rims once you have removed the rust. I remember when I was a kid, the rims on my 'banana seat' bike started to get a little rust, and I cleaned them with steel wool...spotless. Oh my dissapointment a week later when they were rusted completely all the way around.

If you *really, really* want to make the rust stay away, use a product called POR-15 on the frame. You actually want to apply it with a little bit of surface rust on the frame, but once you put that stuff on, it seals whatever you stick it on, and it wont ever rust again. If you get it on your skin, you will have a birth mark that will not go away for many weeks...so wear gloves, and keep your hands away from your face if you are going to work with it.
I put a good coat of wax on them but if they rust quickly ill clear coat them. These rims, tires, and frame ( its an old cheap huffy)are only going to be used to trouble shoot and work the bugs out of the HT motor, and see if I even like the motorized bike concept. Once I am happy with all my adjustments and I get the bugs out I will buy a new Beach cruiser bike and build one thats a pleasure to look at.

I would NOT recommend the electrolysis method for rusty tanks on cheap HT's because it also eats away at the tank mounting studs.Leave it submersed to long & you'll disintegrate your studs....to short & you'll do a completely substandard job.

Houghmade,

I do believe I owe you an appollogy for my last post here. After extensively researching electrolysis, I decided to give it a go. The results were incredible! I saved a bunch of old taps and drills given to me by my Grandfather.

While not completely removed, the residual rust was a joy to wire brush off (not hard at all), finished very clean.

I hope to post some pics. Made the washer out of an empty 100 "writeable" cd tube, holds 6 bits at a time! The base worked perfectly as a top to insulate each individual drill/tap. I simply drilled holes and fed the negative wire thru. Thanks for the idea!

Last edited:
Fetor...why does it eat away at the mounting studs? Are they made of some special material?

Usually it is the positively charged anode that is consumed over time (and you aren't supposed to use a stainless anode, or it produces a harmful gas).

I've only ever done it on 'actual' motorcycle tanks, so you are probably right. These tanks are one step above 'barely able to hold gas'.

Fetor...why does it eat away at the mounting studs? Are they made of some special material?

Usually it is the positively charged anode that is consumed over time (and you aren't supposed to use a stainless anode, or it produces a harmful gas).

I've only ever done it on 'actual' motorcycle tanks, so you are probably right. These tanks are one step above 'barely able to hold gas'.

About he only "special material" involved is inferior steel...i stopped the process before the studs became unuseable but it was clear by the disintegrating thread on my fingertips what was happening.My advice would be not to use this process on suspect materials and for tanks use purpose made products.
P1010113.JPG

BTW....If i had a descent camera u would get a clearer understanding.

Never Dull

Best way to remove rust im telling you. You can get it usually at ur local Harley Davidson shop. Works great.

Brandon Friedman

surface rust removal

Wet the dull side of a piece of tin foil and rub across surface rust and you will find it works quite well. Of course there are some previous posts with better solutions, if you find no other products on hand, this one will work.

I love the outcry this thread has started!

Here is something I made and engineered for drillbits!

Don't use this technique with stainless (period) bits or taps included!

My machine was made from A) a car battery charger 12v on the 2amp setting
B) A 100 cd disc holder C) A few old alligator clips D) Some old steel wire E) an old cookie tin

Don't allow parts to touch eachother or + and - to touch eachother. Research this project a little before proceeding! I simply linned the inside of the cd tray w/cookie tin (not allowing one end of the tin to touch the other inside)! 6 drills at once is the hot setup! Post questions!

Attachments

• emelctrstrmvl1.jpg
    emelctrstrmvl1.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 203
  • emelctrstrmvl2.jpg
    emelctrstrmvl2.jpg
    276.7 KB · Views: 207
  • emelctrstrmvl4.jpg
    emelctrstrmvl4.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 160
  • elctrstrmvl3.jpg
    elctrstrmvl3.jpg
    293.9 KB · Views: 160
rust removal

Fine steel wool and WD-40 works well, though messy.
Try that product you see advertised on TV for clearing hard water deposits in a showerhead. Works great on fender surface rust!
As previously mentioned, rust never sleeps. Try to elliminate all of it.

Sr Davo,

I didn't know till now that scotchbrite makes a new pad that is white! Supposedly non abrasive at all!

Back