Staton-Inc.com rules!

GoblinAero

Local time
10:31 PM
I got to ride my EZ3 HD recumbent trike today for the first time today with its Honda 50cc 4 stroke motor. It's mounted to a Staton gear box. Wow, what a nice, clean, quiet set up. I have a lot of tweaking to do after setting it up, like putting thread lock on the threaded rods & nuts after determining the proper rod lengths, adjust the idle, etc.

The sun was about to go down after my buddy Tracy at Ajo Bikes got the chain hooked up for me. I took it to him for that last bit because he's got a killer set of chain tools. We filled up the motor with oil, then gas and Vrrrroooooom! Off we went, taking turns ripping around the parking lot.

Without adjusting the throttle setting, it goes 20 mph at full twist o' the throttle grip. It'll go faster without major changes. After a week or so, I'll swap a 13 tooth freewheel for the 16 that the kit came with to achieve some higher speeds. The trike has 3 20" wheels.

That Honda 50cc is really quiet and starts right up.

I have the gear box mounted at a minor angle to line up with the canted angle of the drive shaft. I had a brand new custom shaft made at a machine shop to easily accept the new freewheel. This drives the left shaft and rear wheel. The right shaft is powered by the pedals.

I've got the power! 'Time for tweaking.

I'll post pix soon!

Jeff in Tucson

No doubt about it the 50 will go a lot faster with a larger cog.

Would love to see some pics.

Alex

You seem pretty impressed after the first meeting, good news is it will continue to get better. Then it will settle down and become as comfortable as an old shoe, you'll just get on and ride with little thought given to the bike or drive train. Oh, there will be a little routine maintenance but mostly just hours of blissful riding.

Good luck.

Pix from the install...

The photos were taken after the install was done. There is still some work to be done like putting on thread lock and swapping out for a smaller freewheel, but its already been a blast!

I rode it 45 miles today. I went through town, then through Saguaro National Park with its maxed-out super steep hills. People were walking their bicycles up the big hill (it's a killer) and I motored up easily at 16 mph.

It is geared for 20mph, but that will change. I hit 23 on a minor downhill under power and 29 coasting down a steeper hill.

On the way up the grade toward the park, a roadie talked with me and he liked the trike. He drafted me for about 3 miles then fell back telling me to have fun.

Prior to going through the park, I stopped at McDonald's to get some breakfast. Young and old patrons alike stopped to look at the Honda motored trike. 3 could tell it was me inside the restaurant because I was sitting close by with my helmet. They asked questions about cost, how fast, how many mpg, etc. One fellow in his 60s said, "Hey you need to sell those!" We talked about how I'll design fairings for it next and he loved the idea.

What a blast it was to ride today. 90 degrees, sunny, and lots of folks that slowed in their cars to take a better look.

What a blast!

Jeff in Tucson

Attachments

• 1ShaftFreewheel.jpg
    1ShaftFreewheel.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 1,015
  • 2MotorGearBoxKit.jpg
    2MotorGearBoxKit.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 942
  • 3WorkStand.jpg
    3WorkStand.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 893
  • 4MotorOn.jpg
    4MotorOn.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 911
  • 5DriversSide.jpg
    5DriversSide.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 871
  • 6CloseUp.jpg
    6CloseUp.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 813
  • 7TopRear.jpg
    7TopRear.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 840
  • 8RearView.jpg
    8RearView.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 939
  • 9FrontView.jpg
    9FrontView.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 819
  • 10SideView.jpg
    10SideView.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 1,430
  • 11UnderSide.jpg
    11UnderSide.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 862
  • 12RearClose.jpg
    12RearClose.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 893
hi goblin, isnt the honda a beaut, i have it mounted about 1/2 foot behind my back on a delta trike with friction drive and the motor purrs like a baby, if it had a been a 2 stroke i would have had to wear ear MUFFS!!!!!

Cool. Another powered recumbent trike hits the road. I'm toying with the idea of building a delta. With the COG so low, how well does it corner at speed?

'Rode 9,000 feet up Mt. Lemmon today!

Yeppers, the Honda 50cc is awesome.

I rode up Mt. Lemmon today, starting from my house near Speedway and Pantano in Tucson, Arizona.

The trike motored right on up the mountain at 20mph effortlessly. I passed many cyclists on their way up and acknowledged all. Cyclists on the way down took strong notice of the machine.

I thought that I might have about 1/3 tank after reaching the peak, but... nope! It ran dry right at the top by the fire station. I knew that they had gas for emergencies, so I swung in and they took a few seconds to fill me up. I gave them a big thanks and a $20 donation. I let the firemen ride it around a little, too. They loved it. 'Poor guys are bored out of their minds up there.

Lots of folks in the little town of Summerhaven at the top took notice. Many in cars along the mountain highway slowed to get a look and some kids even had their heads hanging out of the windows like dogs to gawk at me better.

Everybody thinks the motored trike is interesting. Very cool.

In answer to Alaskavan's question, I rode back down the mountain mostly without power assist. Coasting, I hit speeds of 37 mph but slowed to 28-30 in turns where the speed limit was marked 30. If the speed limit said a certain speed, the delta trike could do it safely in the corners. I would not have felt safe going a lot faster in those corners (like 10 over). A tadpole would've hooked through the curves faster, but it isn't a race-track. I never felt at risk of tipping, even in the tight corners that were marked for 20mph. I took those at 20-23.

I intentionally drove over cracks, sticks, rocks, 10" high piles of pine needles, and even a big lollipop that some kid had thrown out of the car window. The stability of the trike was impressive.

At 9,000 feet the air is thinner, but the motor didn't seem to mind. It pulled hard and did its job.

After getting back down to the valley, the air had warmed to 90 and I was home in a flash.

Ballpark miles per gallon seems to be in the 100mpg territory. Not bad for taking this 270 pound boy up 9,000 feet and back. I went about 65 miles.

I really like the configuration and stability of a tadpole trike, but I've got to tell ya, this delta trike had me up where folks could see me, it was plenty stable, safe, and I had a blast.

Jeff in Tucson

Elevation estimation clarification.

Where I live in Tucson, the elevation is about 2,500 ft., so, I actually only went up 6,500 ft. to a total height of 9,000 ft.

Jeff in Tucson.

tell you what jeff, you have bigger balls than me, my trike is geometry wise, similar in design except my steering is chopper style above ground, but height of the ground is probably the same, i think having the steering underneath helps you with the stability because if i take a corner at speed alot of leaning is required to keep the wheels touching terra - firma.

I just set up a speedo so next time out i will see how fast i can take a corner and still feel the trike isnt going to tip, if you dont here from me soon well ER......:rolleyes:

Back