How Many States Allow Motorized Bicycles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike S

Local time
6:34 PM
After solving the lighting issue I learned through legal/police sources that motorized bicycles can not be driven legally on the public roads in Illinois. I'm wondering how many states allow legal use of MB on the streets. Is it 10, 20,
40, or is every state like Illinois. Please respond if you know for sure about your state. Mike S

AZ: 48cc or smaller, 20 MPH maximum speed. No license or insurance or registration required. Per A.R.S. 28-2516.

Alabama - any motorized vehicle regardless of motor size/power is treated legally as a motor vehicle - period.

Louisiana - under 50 cc is a motorized bicycle, but trikes are NOT included in the definition of a bicycle.

Last edited:
In Hawaii, it was legal, from about 1978 to 2003 (under 50cc and under 25mph IIRC).

The definition of a motorized bike was conveniently deleted from the books just as Segway operating laws were added.

Not illegal, but also not legal. The law might un-change next year, but only to include eBikes.

Legal in Washington State. See Chapter 46 RCW. Electric bikes don't need license if they go (or you ride them) under 20 mph. Gas powered bikes that can go under only pedal power under 50 cc and ridden under 30 mph are 'mopeds' and need license but the rider doesn't need motorcycle endorsement. Mopeds also need a vehicle license. See my recent experience in threads "Getting (rather, not getting) a license in WA" (started by me) and "E-mail from Washington State DOT" (not started by me.)

South Carolina - Legal with NO DMV requirements.

I spoke with a state trooper this morning for awhile at a Taco Bell and questioned him about MB's as there is no info available on the DMV site. He told me himself, and also called his captain to confirm it, that there is NO registration or insurance needed, that in thier eyes it is viewed as a bicycle that just so happens to have a small engine on it. He did warn me though that any bicycle that is clocked at being riden over 25mph (with or without engine) would be pulled over to be given a safety warning only.

We spoke about 15 minutes or so, he was very easy to talk to, and took the time to call his captain (police boss) to confirm the correct information.

Indiana: 2hp or under, under 50ccs, designed for 25 mph or under, auto trans.- no registration, licensing or insurance requirement- whether there are pedals or not.

Pa

Legal in PA as long as under 50cc, can be powered buy pedals, under 23? mph.
no reg,lic,insur.It is referred to as a motor assisted bicycle.
Chuck

Thanks for the info Chuck. Can you give tell us where you found the Pa. laws. I have been following a couple of other threads on the Pennsylvania laws, and some sections of the law seem to contradict other sections. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back