Motorized Recumbent

de kit

well finally put some oil in engine and took this puppy for a ride.

WOW, once i get this machine fine tuned, my wife and i are going to be fighting over who's turn it is to ride.

The engine sounds beautiful, purrs along so much quieter than the 2 strokes.

Since i took the photos i straightened out the mount so the engine sits more horizontal. I will also have to add one more support to beef up the engine side, as the friction wheel tracking is off center because of the extra vibration the engine causes once started.

The engine still has the on/off switch mounted on the engine which i will have to move onto the frame sometime in the future.

Took it for a short ride as its not quite aligned right, but what a blast, started the bike moving with the electric motor, pulled down on the engagement handle and within moments the engine kicked right in !!!!!!

This is going to be one fun trike when finished.

Some pics of the mount you can see the engine is tipped forward i have since corrected that issue.

Attachments

• tn_PICT0026.JPG
    tn_PICT0026.JPG
    283.9 KB · Views: 516
  • tn_PICT0027.JPG
    tn_PICT0027.JPG
    299.3 KB · Views: 473
  • tn_PICT0028.JPG
    tn_PICT0028.JPG
    295.6 KB · Views: 513
  • tn_PICT0030.JPG
    tn_PICT0030.JPG
    316.5 KB · Views: 483
  • tn_PICT0032.JPG
    tn_PICT0032.JPG
    296.3 KB · Views: 471
  • tn_PICT0033.JPG
    tn_PICT0033.JPG
    288 KB · Views: 463
  • tn_PICT0034.JPG
    tn_PICT0034.JPG
    293.3 KB · Views: 496
AWESOME VEGAS !!

we have alot of Amish around here that won't use cars and ride pedal bike as daily yr. round transpo, when they get older or have medical issues many of them use trikes and there are alot of recumbents.

many times the church will grant dispensations so that the special case people can use small engines. i can see a real market for the DE units with the engagement handles. the people who need them would have trouble starting the engine too.

anyway, it sure looks great, hope you iron it out and get to really enjoy it.

steve

thanks steve, yeap she sure will be fun to ride, if i were you i would get in touch with DE, they are one of the companies looking for people to promote their work, and with the engagement system the trike has, it would be a prefect solution to help out the elder Amish folk.

Patty you dog nice setup...can you send me the link of where you got that and what the price was....Thanks

Man that is a nice looking trike. I have never done a trike before and the tilted wheels I suppose is the reason the legs are not angled the same on both sides? Just curious as I have always had mine match but never tried to mount to something as challanging as that.

Isn't it nice not having to listen to a clutch and to be able to shut off the engine at stop lights? Sweet ride you got there.

those cantered wheels (45 degree angle) are turning out to be a Big pain in the asssssss....i also have a disk brake on the inside hence the two supports connecting at different angles.

I am slowly getting closer to having it dialed in but i have had to add extra supports, and just by tightening one bolt can throw off the line of the friction wheel.

Tomorrow one last support connecting the bottom of the engine to the frame and fingers crossed it will be DONE !!!!!! If not,i will take a break and install my staton friction drive on another bike, and least that will be half the headaches...

Last edited:
UPDATE..

took a break from the trike as its giving me a headache, its almost their, but not quite so i need to chill for a day or two and will try and perfect the mount in a day or two.

I think you hit the nail on the head with the inside support not been at the same angle pumpbuilder, the biggest problem is its mounting, i had to add a threaded bar so that it would clear the inside disk brake and this is probably the main reason the tracking is off, because the joint at this position is supposed to be locked tight, but i am getting too much play on the support with the sheer weight its holding.

The mounting on the inside is off center in relation to the outside because it bolts onto a bracket on the axle frame whereas the outside is centered directly with the axle. Maybe i need too beef up that inside extension by adding another bracket from the threaded bar around one of the axles.

That inside threaded bar is seen in the second to last pic.

Any suggestions at this point would be appreciated !!!

SUCCESS.....

well today i finally got my machine up and running the way i want it, just stripped the whole mounting off and started from scratch. The 3 to 4 day break helped and i had a clear head mounting this time.

Took it for about a 5 mile ride with the kids in tow and everything went pretty smooth just have to get some locktite on the nuts and this build will be pretty much finished.

Fun to ride, going threw junctions disengage the engine, and use the electric motor, once threw, engage the handle, engine starts up and off we go again, i had people slowing down staring at my mini road train, hows this guy cruizing up the hill towing a trailer and not pedaling, LOTS OF FUN!!!!

Even the local boys give it the thumbs up so it cant be all bad. AT the moment i have a 1 1/2 roller on the friction drive and it is pulling at a very comfortable speed, and enough power to climb the hills around here with about 300 to 350 pounds on its back.

I am just glad to get this mounted big relief and now i have another big grin on my face. Now i can move on and get the other 2 rigs finished up at last.

Done !!!!!!

WELL CLOSE ENOUGH ANYWAY.

I love my wifes trike, yes i am not ashamed to admit it, it is soooo much fun to cruise around on and with the trailer attached, flags flying, its a real car stopper !!!!

For the most part its finished i have ordered some poly urr thingie drive wheels as the wooden wheels were wearing out too fast, needed something a bit more heavy duty, fully loaded its got to be pushing 400 lbs!!! I can still cruise at 20 MPH with the kids 15 up gradual hills. I haven't messed with the regulator, restrictor yet but for my wife i think its plenty quick.

I need to mount a kill switch somewhere on the handle bars because at the moment the only switch is on the back of the engine. Next year or maybe for Christmas i will put a fairing on the front can go the whole length

http://www.windwrap.com/ez1/EZ3WithWERX64.jpg

(more expensive) or just a half handlebars up.

http://www.motorizedbicycles.biz/popup_image.php?pID=54&osCsid=ja52mbk51fc4s0bbi95oaq6ip7

Thats basically her finished if you can ever say finished, and how about the made in the usa sticker on the honda,theres no way i could cover that up with the mbc logo, until it falls off at least anyhow

s... my recycling is blowing away...

Attachments

• tn_PICT0036.JPG
    tn_PICT0036.JPG
    390.7 KB · Views: 600
  • tn_PICT0037.JPG
    tn_PICT0037.JPG
    353.6 KB · Views: 456
  • tn_PICT0039.JPG
    tn_PICT0039.JPG
    398.1 KB · Views: 436
  • tn_PICT0040.JPG