Felt MP

grezm0nkey

Local time
12:32 PM
hey all, been searching in here for a few weeks getting info, ideas, etc.

Ive never had a motored bicycle and not sure of the operation. forgive the ignorance. on a 4 stroke motor must it be started before you ride or can it be started during the ride by the pedaling.

i dont have a ride yet. i leaning very hard towards felt cruisers. mostly the MP. i read the posts on the felt MP in here but they seem to have fallen from posting. has anyone completed a MP frame? there was talk on sealing the tank and i was wondering if anyone tried those ideas. i know theres one who remarks he did the 1903, but didnt say how.

I was thinking to include disc brakes on my build, when im done gathering info, but i am not sure if it would fit. i read alot about having good brakes. not sure if discs would be the answer. the hub type looks great, but not sure of the stopping power.

just briefly heres where i stand. i would like to commute on this bike to work. one way is 14 miles, so ballpark 30 miles a day. i want a comfortable ride, so a cruiser came to mind. i wanted it to be reliable, and from reading a 4 stroke would be ideal. i was amry years back, so i lean toward the MP, but a 1903 would be nice too. what sold me was seeing the sand/tan USMC bike and sidecar in the picture gallery. i like the looks of a in-frame vs a rack mount.

thanks in advance for reading and any comments, and links.

grez

A lot of people here suggest less expensive bikes, but the Felt cruisers are really cool.

On the 4 stroke issue- all the kits I know of right now are pull start and are not started by pedaling.

As for sealing the tank, I heard it was done using chemical resistant expoxies as welding or brazing would peal the paint.

Good luck!

ASTRING : i could go with a less expensive frame or make. it really is the look of felt. i dont mind spending a few more for something i want. not that i have a money tree growing, i just want it.

Houghmade: i been tracking that. have same ideas to seal the tank with epoxies. i was thinking using aluminum tape and sealing holes then lining inside with epoxy, but i wouldnt be certain till i got a frame in my hands and looked at the whole thing.

i called felt earlier asking about that canvass frame, the blank cruiser frame you can finish yourself. they are out.

You can get to the holes in the frame from the seat and headset tubes. I think one user on here just sealed it up with JB Weld, and then used tank sealer after that. I wouldn't use aluminum tape though. It breaks too easily.

If I could get my hands on a felt bike I'd love to do a conversion. I don't think they'll fit four stroke engines though. The top bar is a little lower than a normal cruiser just because of it's size.

sjackson : i saw pics in here from earth mechanic fitting a honda gxh50 in a felt v10.

http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=6155

looks like a great install, not sure if felt frames are different at all. i do remember reading that there was different sizes tho, plus steel and aluminum tanks from year to year.

JB weld would probably work best pluging the holes. was thinking alum tape for ease of install. like i said i wouldnt know how hard it would be till i have a frame in hand. would you be able to reach the holes from the seat post and head with your finger???? maybe drilling the fill and petcock holes first so you can reach in with wires and long tools to help mold the putty in place????

been looking online for a Felt MP, found a place in san diego

http://bicyclewarehouse.com/

from what i read, its a bit cheaper if u picked up yourself. i havent called them to ask any questions yet. they show stock on website. does anyone have input on them? anyone bought from them? i guess i could drive there and pick up for the price. it would be an hours drive to save a hundred, what would u do?

grez

just placed order on MP and expect it in next week. i asked to have it left alone and i would put it together myself. that would give me a chance to look over the frame and seal it up. now i need to start looking for all the little pieces and the motor.

hate to ask, i read a post in here and it had a link to a felt MP frame all cut up. he cut it up to seal the holes in the frame. i cant seem to find it again. can someone post a reply link? TIA.

Back