Mini Turbo

The only real electric boost that might possibly be used is created by multi-fan axial duct fan units used in the model airplane industry.

These are not cheap and I have no idea of the battery requirements.

I looked on eBay and found quite a few of these units ranging between $25 to $35 on the low end. They are not rated for pressure, but rather thrust. Amperage runs 35-60 Amps (.56-.96 Hp).

It can and has been done. To set the world land speed record at Bonneville for a 50cc streamlined motorcycle of 144.466mph, John Buddenbaum turbocharged his Aprilia rs50 engine. Mind you, it turns 14,500rpm and puts out 20+hp at 6psi boost. So I think you'd have to be talking about some serious air volume movement to make use of one. He had tried many other ideas to improve performance in his three year quest. Google "Buddfab" for a more complete look.

Jeff

Attachments

• buddfab_streamliner.jpg
    buddfab_streamliner.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 227
  • turbo013.jpg
    turbo013.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 1,864
  • turbo 009.jpg
    turbo 009.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 294
  • Turbo 50 3.jpg
    Turbo 50 3.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 249
I had that picture of the engine as a wallpaper for ages lol. Incredible, the work involved to tune an expansion chamber to get the right backpressure at boost must be mad!

Any form of forced induction you are going to need a way of creating the right backpressure at different induction pressures. Or otherwise the mixture will get pushed over the piston and out the other side! Looking at these electric ones though you could probably just get away with it, however it wouldnt be burning very efficiently.

The engine would be running leaner so you should see a little increase in power plus it should rev quite nicely! Go for it, would be the first person to do it!

Fastboy

I was pretty sure I remembered that jet engine compressors have stators, so I found this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Axial_compressor.gif

Back to my computer fan experiment, I made this:
http://flapdoodle.250free.com/80cc/turbo/stator_and_nose.JPG

It is simply plywood with 16 aluminum flashing fins. The fins are placed at an angle opposite the fan blade angle. The nose piece is soft pine.

Now I am sure this looks like a lot of work, but the fins were all fitted while I watched Obama's address to joint Congress. The first 4 were a bit tricky, then the rest just side into the grooves I cut with a razor saw.

The nose piece by itself increases the fan RPM, the stator either before of after a fan increases RPM. The stator between two fans increased the pressure four fold as measured with a manometer.

Why does it work? Well, air inside the fan tries to circulate along with the rotation of the fan because that is the path of least resistance. The stator helps eliminate that. In effect I am reverse engineering a jet engine compressor in hope of making a usable blower for a bike engine.

I figure I need to make four more stators, a concentrator ring, and a tail piece (a simple cone). Will keep you posted on the results.

Perhaps this will put the idea to rest.

I acquired a 31,000 RPM cooling fan and with more work than I had planned. managed to affix it to my HT carburetor intake. The advertised pressure is >16 times the average computer fan.

I could see no change in performance at any speed or engine RPM.

The only thing that might work would be the axial blowers for model jet aircraft that some one else suggested, at >16 amps (14-18 volts). But there is still the question of if a HT engine will hold together with significant boost pressure.

I would not bet on it,without serious rebuild,head bolts,crankcase seals,bearings.

Back