For those who have been pulled over...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The definition of bicycle under s. 316.003(2), F.S., includes
motorized bicycles. Bicycles are not registered or titled.
Engine kits for bicycles are not new and there are a variety of
kits available, however, they remain bicycles after the engine
kit is installed. There are other requirements that must be met
to be classified as a motorcycle/scooter/moped such as frame
assembly and safety features. If a customer brings in
paperwork for a bicycle, they cannot be legally issued a title or
registration nor is it required. The agent should also direct the
customer to law enforcement if there are any questions as to
where the motorized bicycle can be used.

Mach..yea I know..got rid of all my house mirrors some years ago...kinda glad wife and dog are kinda blind..now if they would only quit barking so much

It matters what state you're in and the current regs there as to speed, if one needs registration, drivers license or if they are even legal at all. For example, where I live, the minimum age is 16 and a DL is required.
Well now its not so funny for me too ---today i got pulled over by police checking speeders--they told me in town i have to pedal and that if i was flying along with my engine i was subject to ICBC regulations such as signals ,brakelights, headlights etc. and that my helmet was not motorcycle regulation.
I told him i was headed to the Indian Reserve bike path ( i live on the reserve but have to cross the regulated highway to get there ) --thankfully when im on the path i can go 20 km only slightly crossing non reserve land then im out in the country where they dont regularly patrol. so i pedaled to there.They also said if i was clipped by a car i would not be covered by ICBC rules so no insurance would protect me.But why are electric bikes legal--they probably are more dangerous because they are silent - some go much faster??
Anyway ill try to get a copy of the paper my friend gives them --but not tested yet--and see what you guys think.

i road for 4 years and got harassed once.
i was sitting at a red light(something i would normally never do it was just convenient and thats why i got noticed) in the morning with my coffee.state trooper seen me and whipped around.he didnt expect me to have a dl but i did.he told me it was a motor vehicle blah blah blah.he gave me a warning.

i guess the point is..........cop are AAS SSHOLES and you dont really have the freedom to ride a bicycle with a little motor that get extremely good gas mileage.

so f em.ill ride my suzuki bandit 1200.i have been enjoying passing harleys.

State requirements

Oregon allows a motorized bicycle, but it is limited to 35 CC or under and I believe, 24 MPH, but 15 on bike paths. I've yet to see a cop on a bike trail to enforce this, but I guess they could clock you.

http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/DMV/vehicle/moped.shtml

I have a 66/80 and have asked a state cop about it, and he said I only needed a drivers license, but a city mc cop stopped me and asked how big the motor was, and I told him 50 cc. He told me that lights and reflectors were required, mounted physicallty to the bike, as well as a MC endoremen if over 50 CC. He was incorrect on these items, and not knowlegable on the issure. I went to the office and asked for him to clarify the requirements, but have yet to hear from him in over a week now.. I was not ticketed, but he did warn me. I now carry a MC manual, a bike manual, as well as a page from the link below showing what is legal and what is not. A gas assisted bicycle is really not mentioned at all.

It looks like a 35 CC Robins Subaru or Tanaka kit from Golden Eagle is going to fit the bill except for the $600+ price tag. Sure wish I had access to a machine shop to build a front moter mount for this kit, if this is even possible ....will take a closer look and ask them for their thoughts on a front wheel install.

I hear that the cops here Hermiston Oregon are beginning to stop people, so back roads till I can buy a smaller legal motor...

Hope this helps someone.

Gary

Is there an option on here to make this A hyper link??:unsure:

Last edited:
my other half was stopped by a female cop taking radar
and all she said was
"what is that?"
and do you realize how fast your going
she thought it was pretty cool and on his way he went
that was 2008
luckily we have been to florida many times and also ride here frequently and have had no problems we see the cops all the time
we always follow the traffic rules and are courtious and respectful

I had a Cop think about turnning around three times before going the other way after seeing me work the pedals! LOL!

Gotcha thanks for all the info, im 15 so i dont want them thinking oh this kids gana hurt himself or pull me over for something stupid...i was just wondering what to say and stuff, the cops arent here are a real hassle but i have figured out a motor assisted bike is a real gray area but i think i can get by:cry:

same im 15 and ride around alot and cops just smile and think its funny

So I'm 16 and building my first bike and I took the pedals off. Does that mean it's a motorcycle? If I get pulled over, what will they do, and what should I do? And whats the chance that I will get pulled over if I go slow and wear a helmet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back