Brakes Brakes around the wrong way?!

Woah! You know, I've ridden bicycles for the better part of 30 years, and motorcycles for at least 15...never really thought much of the difference! Though it would make more sense to have the front brake-right, clutch-left arrangement, so I can dedicate one full hand to the 70% brake force and one hand to the clutch...then make minor rear braking also with the left hand if needed.

I wonder if this got started in a similar manner to the way bikes seem to mainly have the chain on the right and motorcycles mainly on the left...but looking back to early motorbikes, you see exactly why.

Now if I could just keep the computer and telephone key pads straight...especially when dialing the telephone from the computer!

na ah.
left hand front,right hand rear.three mountain bikes all untouched from assembler all the same.came from three different places.
typically i would see this as a safer setup,on a biker standpoint,this would avoid locking the front brake.

motorcycles not mountain bikes im talking about lol

Unless you do a lot of riding in dirt or loose gravel, do yourselves a favor and the get the dual pull brake lever and completely do away with the 3 handles on your bars.

I've been using one for 2 1/2 years without a problem. It frees up space on the handlebars and makes it much less confusing on your brain when you need to panic stop.

You'll need one if you get a shift kit also.
TiM

Dual Pull

Unless you do a lot of riding in dirt or loose gravel, do yourselves a favor and the get the dual pull brake lever and completely do away with the 3 handles on your bars.

I've been using one for 2 1/2 years without a problem. It frees up space on the handlebars and makes it much less confusing on your brain when you need to panic stop.

You'll need one if you get a shift kit also.
TiM
Hey a/c man, Ya gotta remember that with the dual pull it can't adjust up the way regular brakes do. On a bike 70% of the stopping power is on the front wheel, BUT, If you set it up this way with the dual pull then yer setting yourself up for disaster. Sure, It's cool as long as you don't hit any water, oil, gravel, ect, ect, ect. With just the dual pull set up 50/50, evenly on both wheels, then the first time ya gotta stop QUICK and there just happens to be a little sand, yer on yer bum. I've used the dual pull a lot and have found that if ya don't wanna die ya gotta set it up with the main stop power to the rear. The only other option is if you can grab yer wrench, jump in front of the bike at 30mph, And readjust the brakes for Oil, sand, ect, real quick before you hit the car or the car hits you.
OH, Sorry. I just thought of another option. You could move to that magic city where there's no carp in the road.:giggle:
Stay safe Bro,
Big Red.

Back