Bike Security Cheap, secure Keylock ignition switch

No chance of that, they're secure, but when pressure is applied you can pick it. They're not "key specific" locks. There's just one master key that will open every single one.

The best keying option, at least for me, is a snowmobile key setup. Locked on a snowmobile is actually completing the grounding-out circuit on the killswitch. Pull the wires out though and the bike will start but most people wouldn't know that, they'd just see a keylock.

I'm still pondering ways to key the clutch's lever. That would be very secure. It could be force started ingear, but it'd be tough. I know I've done it when my clutch cable snapped, but it wasn't a fun ride back (okay, it was fun, but I don't want to do it again). But, keying it to disable the coil AND locking the clutch, they'd never pedal that thing away. It does worry me though, that all it would take is bolt cutters to get through the lock and a pickup bed to throw it into...

Lets get to the super serious side of this. I know it's fun and smart to be thinking how to lock our bikes... but what's the most secure bike lock?

Is there a bike lock out there that will hold up to a grinder, bolt cutters, gunshot, jaws of life?

Cause that's what's going to keep our bikes secure.

I have the thickest Kryptonite cable lock they make, I believe. It's 1/2 inch thick cable with a thick plastic cover and a 4 number key that you can set to your own code. It's coiled and doesn't like to uncoil, sorta hard to thread it through the spokes. I'm thinking on a motion screecher but bikes get moved a lot even locked in a bike rack...

I'm pretty stoked with my own Kryptonite lock, it's a half inch counting the rubber sleeve around the cable. To coil it through the spokes, I just "drill it" like a corkscrew halfway down the cable, works well. I try to pass through the frame, the back wheel and the tree/signpost/bike rack. I figure, if someone had a truck, they could take one wheel off and toss it in if it's just through a wheel. Usually I like to use two locks, but I have a new bike for that second lock. I figure a lock is a deterrent first, and a delayer second. The extra time it takes to go through two locks might be enough for someone to notice.

I've seen people lock a U-lock through the rear rim, around one chain stay, and around the post, sometimes with the front wheel removed and locked between chain stay and post. The frame or wheel and tire would have to be cut to remove the bike.

You might look at those free Gun Safety Locks that you can get by mail or at police departments. They are small keyed padlocks with a pretty tough cable, and good for securing wheels or boxes maybe. What do you think.

PM if you want or link to thread regarding locks.

I like to use at least 2 different kinds of locks, maybe even 3.
First is the octagon link Kryptonite chain with an American disc lock, no shackle to cut, through the rear wheel and frame.
Then a good U lock, also through the rea wheel and frame.
Then a Master Bike cuff to hold the front wheel to the down tube.
Making the bike as difficult a target as possible.
At work im able to store the heavy chain and lock so its not that bad to carry.
Im sold on the long chain Master bike cuff, i have both the long and short models.
The Kryptonite U lock with the new generation Keys are also pretty good.
BBB

I have the thickest Kryptonite cable lock they make, I believe. It's 1/2 inch thick cable with a thick plastic cover and a 4 number key that you can set to your own code. It's coiled and doesn't like to uncoil, sorta hard to thread it through the spokes. I'm thinking on a motion screecher but bikes get moved a lot even locked in a bike rack...

I had a similar keyed Kryptonite cable lock and my bike was stolen in broad daylight in front of a Harbour Freight store in a busy shopping center. These locks are too easily defeated with a bolt cutter. Better to get a good U-lock. At least they'll need to make some noise or spend some time to defeat those.

Personally I just use a regular bicycle combination lock and leave it on the seat post.. I always find something to tie my bike to even if I leave it for a second. I also contemplated the key lock but I also don't want to complicate things.

oliverw123, "complex" is exactly what you want when it comes to bicycle security.
I dont know what you ride, or where you live, but bicycle theft is rampant, the police just dont care and are NOT going to look for your bike.
So it falls to each rider to protect his ride, how much money, time and effort went into building your bike?
Dont you think it just MIGHT be wise to at least make stealing your bike more difficult?
3 different kinds of locks say "move on to some thing easier" to a bike thief.
Maybe you ride a cheap bike and YOU don't care if it gets stolen.
But WE do. Don't make it easy for the thieves just because you don't feel like carrying a key.
Its your bike dude.
BBB

Back