clamshell adaptor from livefast motors

oldnube

Local time
4:26 PM
I saw this adaptor advertised, it looked good to me, has anyone tried it? What do you think of it?

Last edited:
Yes I Used Search

HOW MANY? SEARCH AGAIN with no matches found must one get so it is ok to reapeat a question and not be told to use the search?

yes I saw that one

Check out Creative Engineering's adapter - I've used it, and it's solid.[/QU Is it steel i was concerned about the threads in the other one ripping out. Does it now come with a drive gear to fit it? I want to get an adapter so when i build my 1st MB it will be done right. I am to old and to fat to have to peddle or walk much, LOL! BTW How do the inner halves attach to each other?

Last edited:
  • CE's adapter is made of aluminum (as is livefast's adapter,) and uses 5/16 inch bolts, I believe. 5/16-16 bolts in 2024 aluminum should be torqued to a max of 80 inch-lbs / 7 foot-lbs. (I don't know what aluminum alloy that either CE or livefast uses for their adapters, though.) You should check with the vendor you choose, to verify the alloy and/or the maximum torque allowed for both the clamp bolts and the sprocket bolts. (I believe that livefast uses smaller bolts, but more of them, on his design, so the max torque on his aluminum clamshell would probably be less.)

Just add a drop of loktite to your bolts, and snug 'em down to no more than the recommended torque.
  • You would also need to buy one of CE's sprockets to fit, or drill 3 new holes holes in your existing sprocket. (Note that the cost of a mount AND a new sprocket from CE is about the same as livefast's adapter...)
  • There are two bolts on the clamshell adapter that hold the two halves together. The images below are from CE's site.

Attachments

• Adapter2.jpg
    Adapter2.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 1,364
  • wheel.jpg
    wheel.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 737
  • Adapter.jpg
    Adapter.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 692
Last edited:
Last edited:
Thank You

Thank you Mr Loquin I think I like the one you have best. Does these make it so I dont have to reform the coaster brake lever I hope?

You shouldn't have to...

The pic below (from CE's website) shows it it use on a Schwinn cruiser with coaster brake. Not clearly, but you can see the end of the coaster brake arm and its clamp.

Attachments

• Adapter3.jpg
    Adapter3.jpg
    318.5 KB · Views: 812
Last edited:
Thank You

You all are so helpful. I wish I had internet on my laptop I would have a great file of building TS notes. But I am happy and greatful to have this limited connection, you MBers have armed me with info to where my dream is possable. THANK YOU ALL!

Back