For those who have been pulled over...

Status
Not open for further replies.
But why are electric bikes legal--they probably are more dangerous because they are silent - some go much faster??

They're not legal here. No motor on a bicycle is. Unless used only off road. Not all electric motors are silent, some are downright noisy. Currie motors for example. Most of the time they sound like a car with a manual transmission backing up. Yes some will go faster but not for very long. The batteries die and your left to pedal anyway. Of course you can look at it this way. Everything is legal until you get caught.

Last edited:
The Law.

So I'm 16 and building my first bike and I took the pedals off. Does that mean it's a motorcycle? If I get pulled over, what will they do, and what should I do? And whats the chance that I will get pulled over if I go slow and wear a helmet?

I dont know if motorized bicycles are even legal to ride in GA. But for sure if you take the peddles off it's no longer a motorized BICYCLE, It's a motorcycle. In most states you can't ride something like that on the street because it's not D.O.T. approved. A motorized bicycle falls into a different category, more like a moped. Some states require registration, I've heard some don't. All I know fer sure is California law. I'll look into Georgia law and get back to you. BUT, don't hold your breath, it took a while just to figure out the law in California.
Big Red.

Georgia Law.

Hey Anvil, The only thing I could find in the Georgia website is for mopeds. It states you can't have any kind of manual clutching. SO, put the peddles back on, put a centrifugal clutch on it and call it a moped.:unsure:

Georgia Department of Driver Services.
Mopeds
A moped is any motor driven cycle with an engine not exceeding 50 cubic centimeters (3.05 cubic inches) that can propel the cycle at a speed not to exceed 30 miles per hour (MPH) and does not require clutching or shifting.

Mopeds are exempt from the provisions relating to the registration and licensing of motor vehicles

Mopeds
A moped is defined as any motor driven cycle with an engine not exceeding 50 cubic centimeters (3.05 cubic inches).

Mopeds are exempt from the provisions relating to the registration and licensing of motor vehicles.

Rules to operate mopeds on Georgia roads and highways:

1.Must be 15 years of age and have in their possession a valid driver's license, instructional permit or limited permit.
2.Must wear protective headgear (motorcycle helmet).
3.No tag is required.
4.Every person operating a moped upon a roadway must obey the same traffic laws governing drivers of motor vehicles.
5.May not use limited access highways or other roadways where the minimum speed limit is above 35 mph

I just read this again and NOWHERE does it say ya gotta have peddles. BUT, one would assume that the PED in moped means PEDdles.

Last edited:
But for sure if you take the peddles off it's no longer a motorized BICYCLE, It's a motorcycle.
Sculpt a mound of **** to look like a rose. That must mean it's a rose. Add pedals to a Honda Goldwing means it becomes a Moped.

Last edited:
to everybody,i ride my bike every day, and as im riding i allso ghost pedel all the time and im allways looking over my back just to see if a cop is there or coming. And if one is coming or i see one ahead of me i just killlllllll the motor and still go on pedeling. So just keep your eyes open and good look!!!!!!!!!

A moped is any motor driven cycle with an engine not exceeding 50 cubic centimeters (3.05 cubic inches) that can propel the cycle at a speed not to exceed 30 miles per hour (MPH) and does not require clutching or shifting.

Thanks! I do have a centrifugal clutch, but my motor isn't 50cc xP But will a cop know? haha. Cop's around here don't really give us problems, I live in a small town, so unless your driving crazy, bumping music, or disturbing the peace in any way, they won't mess with you. But my muffler keeps it quite, and I got about 30mph or less. But I just wanted to know the law just in case I catch one on their bad day. So thanks again!

in illinois you must be at least 16, motor no larger than 50cc, incapable of an excess of 20mph. I live in peoria,il. i have been riding for only a couple of weeks and have had cops drive right by me and never look my way, but as someone else mentioned i am sure one day i will meet up with officer knucklehead who is bored and looking for some one to mess with, and an ole' man on a speedy beach cruiser could be the winner of this unnecassary encounter..... GRIN. Just be cool, dont hinder traffic or do stupid sh*t and you'll be ok. Happy Ridin

I'm imagining some cranky person like myself, finding a dead Goldwing at auction, chopping a lot of weight out of it, putting a sachs moped engine in it, and pedals, and driving 25mph on it through town to get some tacos. haha

IMG_0015.jpg

kawasaki.jpg

A Goldwing is just a tad over 49cc.
Big Red.

I've been pulled over a few times. So far, they checked id, asked me "what the **** is that", searched my person and belongings, asked me questions about what I was doing or where I was going, and let me go. A couple times I have been warned I had to ride on the shoulder in some areas, or it was hinted that I was going over 30 on it. The tanaka bike barely hits 30, but the grubee bike does about 35 tops. I had a friend in a car follow me once to see.

909531-BUV9ZWB.jpg
sachs moped ;=)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back