air leak

what's the best way to find a air leak?

Other then making sure that the intake gasket and carburetor to manifolds are sealed, then pull a vacuum. Another way is to put a little (about 5-10psi) pressure in the engine (through spark plug hole with the piston at BDC, or use a air nozzle), and use a little soap spray. How I did it ...I made a cover for both intake and exhaust and took a spark plug and braised a air chuck fitting into it. My next tool is to make one with a A/C service valve and use my HVAC gauges.

Having the right tools or able to make them sure helps.

Attachments

• service valve.jpg
    service valve.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 211
  • air nozzle.jpg
    air nozzle.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 214
Last edited:
starting fluid is the easiest in my opinion.
with the engine running, spray a little around the intake tube to cylinder gasket (or other suspected area) If the rpms go up, you found your leak.
the starting fluid will get sucked into the air leak and make the engine rev up.

I thought some one said that but I know for sure I can use it then
thanks motor...

I thought some one said that but I know for sure I can use it then
thanks motor...

Yes you can, and I have, but be careful, it can catch on fire if you are not careful. I'd only use it around the intake parts. And I sure wouldn't use it around the coil seal.

I thought about a fire too so only did it when engine wasn't hot.I found a head leak and intake leak too.So should i just buy a new head with a gasket or just gasket?I was thinking about the head leak do I need any head gasket sealant?

Last edited:
I thought about a fire too so only did it when engine wasn't hot.I found a head leak and intake leak too.So should i just buy a new head with a gasket or just gasket?I was thinking about the head leak do I need any head gasket sealant?

Neither. Remove the head and mill it down. Explained in here.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GcesQihc7-mm3hJGf7UPiqOaRXZ8ekUT99QUZq2qXXE/edit
If you take the gasket intact, you most likely can use it again. Before installing the gasket, spray a couple or coats of either , or aluminum paint. I have used, used head gaskets with with exceptional results. Replace the cylinder studs (recommended) with a grade 8.8 and torque to 120 to 175 INCH POUNDS. My first torque is around 125, and if I have to take off the head, 150, and next 175. I have never had to remove a head once I seal and torque.

Last edited:
Back