Canadian Letter Writing Campaign

Sticker it.

You have two options. 1) put on a sticker; 2) tell it to the judge. The label is the less expensive option. We learned a long time ago to comply with ALL relevant laws, not merely those of our choosing. It spares reaching for the aspirin bottle. The police in B.C. look for a CMVSA compliance label, regardless of the fine print in the ICBC regulations. Do as you wish.

Here you go....

Here is the required label:

STICKER1.jpg

Here is my, ehm, "improved" version of it. Sorry if the french "displacement/maximum speed" isn't correct, I don't speak french so I used automatic translator.

STICKER3.jpg

Looks presentable to me, if anyone can do better please do so and post here.

Now 2 questions:

1: Does anyone here have a store bought e-bike with this sticker? I could use the dimensions of it.....:whistle:

2: Does anyone know of a site that does plastic label printing? I imagine that the cops won't buy it if I print it on paper and stick it to the bike with tape... Even if the minimum quantity would be lets say 100pcs I would go for it if the price was fair, I'm sure I could easily find "takers" for the ones I wouldn't need :rolleyes:

Attachments

• STICKER 1.jpg
    STICKER 1.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 293
  • STICKER 3.jpg
    STICKER 3.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 260
Label

If the label is for an e-bike, leave out the displacement. E-bikes don't have displacement. That is in reference to a gas motor. Displacement is is the volume swept by all the pistons inside the cylinders of an internal combustion engine. Also, this label is no good for use on a gas scooter. It is an e-bike compliance label only. E-bike motors do not have cylinders or pistons. Also, you do not have to put the speed on the label. If it complies with CMVSA Part 2(1) that is automatic.

If the label is for an e-bike, leave out the displacement. E-bikes don't have displacement. That is in reference to a gas motor. Displacement is is the volume swept by all the pistons inside the cylinders of an internal combustion engine. Also, this label is no good for use on a gas scooter. It is an e-bike compliance label only. E-bike motors do not have cylinders or pistons. Also, you do not have to put the speed on the label. If it complies with CMVSA Part 2(1) that is automatic.

Thanks for the input Veloteq, but my version of the label is NOT for an e-bike, nor for a gas scooter... It is for a GAS ENGINE POWERED MOTORIZED BICYCLE (hence the cc's), isn't that kind of what this thread is about? I am aware that that label is for "e-bike compliance", I am also aware that the label WILL NOT make the bike legal in any way, nor is putting a label like that on the bike legal, so no need to repeat that. The purpose of the label is to make the bike appear legal in the event that a police officer ever questions the bicycles legality, example:

Officer: That's a motor assisted cycle? With a gasoline engine? Can I see the compliance label please?
Me: Certainly officer, right here on the tube...
Officer: Thank you.

Of course this is a "best case" scenario based on the assumption that the officer isn't too well informed on MAC's (like the police in my town seem so far, even our "notorious" lady cop smiled and waved at me the last time she saw me buzzing around...). This obviously wouldn't work in an area where MB'ers have already had run-ins with the law, and potentially could get you in a lot of trouble, but hey....what's a guy to do if he rides a GASOLINE ENGINE POWERED MOTORIZED BICYCLE? If your answer is "don't ride it you risk prosecution buy a labeled 500watt electric in wallmart" then please don't bother...

Sorry I don't mean to be even remotely hostile Veloteq, on the contrary I appreciate the input of somebody as knowledgeable of canadian laws as you are. It's just that this whole situation is rather depressing, and just writing not legal not legal not legal doesn't help, we need to either change laws or find ways around them....

Thanks Veloteq for the mention that the maximum speed doesn't have to be on the label, I will take that off and leave only the cc rating... :giggle:

You have two options. 1) put on a sticker; 2) tell it to the judge. The label is the less expensive option. We learned a long time ago to comply with ALL relevant laws, not merely those of our choosing. It spares reaching for the aspirin bottle. The police in B.C. look for a CMVSA compliance label, regardless of the fine print in the ICBC regulations. Do as you wish.

No' thats not true

The BC law clearly states what I have Quoted!!

The ICBC has set out the rules in their interuption of the Fed. law.

PROVE me wrong...POPS

OH and I'm not selling unecessary stickers...Are you?

Last edited:
Another option

Another option is to write your Member of Parliament and MLA. Are we Canadian really that apathetic ?

There are no labels on my e-bike that says anything about it meeting any regulations whatsoever. The only labels are model number, serial number and distributor labels. Of coarse it is plastered with manufacturers decals and in very fine print says "electric powered". Am i breaking the law every time i run down the road with this? I know i am because i made modifications to it so it is fully self powered and i no longer have to pedal anymore. The pedals are still functional though. Plus i can also break the speed limit set for these bikes. It's not by much but i can still break the speed limit. I can say i've never had a problem with the RCMP. Actually i had an officer that asked many questions about it, and wondered where he could get one. E-bikes are really not that bad, and are much more environmentally friendly.

Last edited:
Neon, I just bought a hub motor and wheel from ebikes.ca here in Vancouver. In the package of controls and brake parts there are two labels in both French and English

It says,
This vehicle is a power
assisted bicycle and meets
all the requirements under
section 2[1] of the Canada
motor vehicle safety
regulations

I'll ask them and see if this is required to be legal. I would think unless you meet a super cop or a Department of Transport employee who was out to get you, your safe.
Have you contacted the people who sold you the motor? If they are outside of the country they may not know about this. I'll get back and let you know what I found out.

The best part of e-bikes in Canada is the're legal.

Steve.

I don't think there is much point in contacting Canadian Tire about the sticker, that is where i bought the bike. It was a prefab Schwinn. I found with them is once you bought it it's no longer their concern. I've already seen a DOT employee about this bike and she knew absolutely nothing about electric or gasoline powered bicycles, other than they still had to look like a bicycle with functional pedals. It seemed that she didn't care either. Thanks for the heads up though Steve.

Back