Noob builds hybrid 49cc gas+ 2000 watt electric Felt MP. I tried my best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
DSCF1919.JPG

DSCF1934.JPG

DSCF1922.JPG

DSCF1926.JPG

DSCF1938.JPG

This bike is a project/ordeal I started about 6 months ago. Originally a 2012 Felt MP beach cruiser , this bike had the gas motor installed and a few months later the electric hub was installed. Bike is capable of operating by pedal, gas or electric or all three at once. The electric hub provides the torque and the gas motor provides the top end speed. A 50 tooth rear sprocket gives the gas motor a top speed of 35-40mph with a 200 pound man in the seat on level terrain. Top speed for the electric hub alone is 25-30mph. When both motors are used simultaneously, it is capable of climbing the steepest hills without pedaling and able to pull away from a dead stop at car speeds. I wish the gas engine fully recharged the batteries on the fly but it does not. It does, with brake regen and gas motor running, extend their range by over 300%.

Bike:
2012 Felt MP

Motors:
Huasheng 49cc 4-Stroke C.A.R.B. Approved
Crystalyte HS3540 Direct-Drive Hub

Clutch:
Fully Automatic Centrifugal EZM Q-Matic

Batteries:
AllCell - Lithium Nickel Manganese Cobalt 48V 12.9Ah (Housed in right hand ammo can)
Phantom - Lithium Ion 12V 14Ah (Housed above front fork)

Controller:
Crystalyte 40A 12 Mosfet Sensorless (2000 Watt)

Front Brake:
Tektro - Auriga E-Comp Caliper (hydraulic)
Tektro - Hard Ceramic Brake Pads
Shimano - Ice Tech Front Disk (203mm)

Rear Brake:
Crystalyte (internal electric, voltage regenerative)

Front 3 Speed Derailleur:
Shimano 105

Tires:
Geax - 24" x 2.3" Tattoo Rigid

Lights:
Rear Dual PDW - Danger Zone
Front 20 Watt CREE LED light mounted inside a Hella 500 light housing

Horn:
Wolo 139 Db 12V Air Horn

Throttles:
Electric - Left Hand Thumb Throttle
Gas - Right Hand Twist Throttle

Seat:
Harley Davidson bobber style, genuine leather, motorcycle seat

Seat Height:
28" (fixed)

Battery Range:
Batteries alone: 25 miles (no pedaling)
With gas engine running: 75+ miles (no pedaling)

Fuel Capacity:
3/4 Gallon

Weight:
100-120 pounds (estimated)

Combined Horsepower:
4.7 Horsepower (2 Gas + 2.7 Electric)

Combined Mileage:
1500 miles

Top Speed:
35-40 mph (level terrain, no pedaling)

Actually, "awesome build" is an understatement! What you have created is not only a thing of beauty, but an engineering marvel. Your bike is the most beautiful and creative build I have ever seen. I don't know if Jay Leno lives near you, but I can guarantee that if he ever sees your bike, he will pay you anything you ask to own it. WOW!

Actually, "awesome build" is an understatement! What you have created is not only a thing of beauty, but an engineering marvel. Your bike is the most beautiful and creative build I have ever seen. I don't know if Jay Leno lives near you, but I can guarantee that if he ever sees your bike, he will pay you anything you ask to own it. WOW!

Thanks. It was nearly a 6 month ordeal of trial and error to get it to this point as I had no instruction manual or anyone to turn to for this specific hybrid design. All I had was an idea in my head. Luckily it all works right. Jay lives easily within range of this bike from my house and I was thinking about trying to get it on Jay Lenos Garage website.

I got all kinds of videos of this thing in action on my youtube site as well.

http://youtube.com/miked826

That's truly amazing. Seems very expensive, though. Did you buy all new?

It was expensive. $4000 just for the parts that were all new at the time and everything but the bike was bought online from a dozen different websites. Was it worth it? It's just not the same bike with either the electric or gas side being left off. They both need each other for numerous reasons. Pedal, gas and electric are all independent from each other or can all be used at once in any order. It does not matter.

I see you have it for sale. Are you planning to build another?

I'm done building hybrid bikes. This is the first and last hybrid bike that I will ever build. It's too expensive, too time consuming, it's not 50-state legal and most importantly you can't ride that bike, with those tires, on a public beach.....even if I removed the gas engine. There is no federal or state law against riding an electric bike on a public. No electric bike currently exists that can effortlessly ride on the beach without having to pedal at some point. The Hanebrink comes close but it looks too much like a mini-bike for my tastes. The next bike I build will be able to hit a street curb head-on at under 10mph and just harmlessly roll right over it. It will have an electric motorcycle engine mounted in the frame rated at 6hp with 19hp peak. I'm done with electric hubs as well. E-hubs work great for what they do on the street but it's just not enough to handle loose California beach sand for an extended distance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back