I can mail you steel blanks for frame mounting

bamabikeguy

Local time
7:32 AM
Nick in Santa Barbara is going to frame mount a Robin/Subaru 35, and I think he's going to use the 2009 version of the Sun 7 speed cruiser, similar to my red one.

He says he has a minimum amount of tools, and I just got a package out to him with 2 steel blanks.

https://motoredbikes.com/threads/frame-mounting-a-gebe-kit-in-santa-barbara.18010/

Now that I know the package (pic 1) weighed 13 ounces and cost $4.95 in postage, I thought I'd put up a thread and offer the same dealio to other newbies to frame-mounting.

If you read the threads from Aug-Sep 2007 where the forum was discovering all the different techniques, I've now got a pretty good system.

2007 thread: https://motoredbikes.com/threads/gebe-axle-mount-modifications-and-additions.6294/

I buy a different type of steel bar now (compared to the 2007 thread) at Tractor Supply Co. for about $14, and keep about 20 cut blanks on hand, with the 5/16" hole for the mount centered and pre-drilled.

In the package I sent Nick, I included the (2) carriage bolts and nylock nuts, plus (4) of the 5 mm machine bolts/nylocks for the holes at the bottom of the blank. (In case you've never bought metric machine bolts, they are triple the price of regular ones!!)

I also sent him the cut-off portion of the axle mount (2 1/4") so he can hacksaw his, using the cut-off as his gauge.

What the heck, I threw in some long zip ties, to use for that ultra-important safety/shock absorbing hole he needs to drill in the front strap (Pic 3).

So, if you don't want to hunt up all the supplies yourself, here's how we can do it.

Steel blanks, nuts and bolts add up to $8
Postage (and a nickle of gas to get to the post office) are $5
The envelope was $1.13 including tax

Let's just round it off to $15 bucks, a Hamilton and a Lincoln, break even for both of us.

You'll need 3-4 drill bits, 5/16" (for the shortened axle mount)
13/64" (for the 5 mm holes at the bottom of the blank)
17/64" (to drill that extra hole in your front strap. I also use a 1/8" bit to make a pilot hole.)

email bama_bikeguy at yahoo for my mailing address.

(I'll add another few frame mounting tips I've found down thread)

Attachments

• trike 010.jpg
    trike 010.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 283
  • recumbent 018.jpg
    recumbent 018.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 267
  • 2007_0617foxnews0002.JPG
    2007_0617foxnews0002.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 255
OK bamabikeguy -- prepare yourself -- you have been chosen -- by the site -- as the

NICEST MOTOR BIKER OF THE DAY
WHO WISHES TO HELP OTHER'S OUT
FREELY GIVING HIS TIME
TO HIM THE ONE OF A KIND AWARD

congratulations from up top the lower mountains of Calif
I hope that some day maybe, just maybe
if I could even be a runner up for this award
it would be a true honor
someTHING for Mountainman to shoot for

have fun as you ride those THINGS

Back