Anyone have a truly freewheeling bike here?

I just scanned through this thread, and I'd like to address the issue of "freewheeling" and friction drives. Setting up a friction drive to be engageable/disengageable "on the fly" is simplicity itself, and it is equally simple to make it a "two-speed" drive. Front or rear, either way is pretty easy to do. A few months ago we had a discussion of variable "gearing" for friction drives, and I posted a pic of my idea for anyone who wants to take it and run with it.

Basically, two rollers mounted front and rear in a piece of 2"H x 4"W U-channel, with their shafts sticking through one side of the channel and identical small sprockets on each. Engine mounts to a fixed plate above this, with "ears" sticking down and a pivot through the channel from ear to ear. Output sprocket for the engine co-planar with the two roller sprockets, a loop of chain around all three. Put a strong compression spring between the fixed plate and the U-channel at one end, run a cable through the fixed plate to a mounting point on the channel centered in the spring circle. Set it up so that one roller is your default (spring expanded) setting, neutral is centered, spring compressed puts the other roller on the wheel. Use a small T-handle lever "shifter" mounted on the top bar just behind the front forks, and a cable to the friction drive assembly. Set up with positive lock detents on the T-handle shifter (sinple side loading on the T-handle by a small compression spring and a notched mount that a pin on the T-handle engages for each position, and you have a two-speed friction roller drive with a neutral position. Centrifigual clutch on the engine, pedal to 8-10 mph and engage low gear, engine pop starts. Coasting just stick it in neutral and back off the throttle - drive is stationary.

edit: As pictured, the red translucency represents the plane of the drive chain loop around the rollers and the engine sprocket, the blue translucent cylinder represents the compression spring. The solid black line rising above the engine mount plate represents the cable.

Sizing depends on wheel size and roller size. The engine mount plate is fixed to the bike like a rack, front or rear, and the rest of it is pretty darned simple geometry. Don't know why no one builds it - if I had a shop and a few bucks, I'd build a prototype just to have real pictures to show you. Keep in mind, the pivot point needs to be centered, but the engine can go wherever works best on the mount - the chain loop is a fixed circumference which will not change as the U-channel pivots.

Attachments

• Two speed friction roller mount.jpg
    Two speed friction roller mount.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 423
Last edited:
I just scanned through this thread, and I'd like to address the issue of "freewheeling" and friction drives. Setting up a friction drive to be engageable/disengageable "on the fly" is simplicity itself, and it is equally simple to make it a "two-speed" drive. Front or rear, either way is pretty easy to do. A few months ago we had a discussion of variable "gearing" for friction drives, and I posted a pic of my idea for anyone who wants to take it and run with it.
Definitely something that's worth of going on the Crash Course! ;)

Take a look at the HybriPed website, then go and ask one of the distributors about the HybriPed Sprocket.

Don't know how I missed this post the first roung but I see the Hybriped sprocket now. Thats pretty nifty! Freewheeeling for HTs or maybe Dax Titans too.

Yes its manual but still a pretty novel idea.

Don't know how I missed this post the first roung but I see the Hybriped sprocket now. Thats pretty nifty! Freewheeeling for HTs or maybe Dax Titans too.

Yes its manual but still a pretty novel idea.
Actually, it has transformed my life!

Start with a quality bicycle and a full set of gears. The engine is secondary but absolutely essential.

Basically, two rollers mounted front and rear in a piece of 2"H x 4"W U-channel, with their shafts sticking through one side of the channel and identical small sprockets on each. Engine mounts to a fixed plate above this, with "ears" sticking down and a pivot through the channel from ear to ear. Output sprocket for the engine co-planar with the two roller sprockets, a loop of chain around all three. Put a strong compression spring between the fixed plate and the U-channel at one end, run a cable through the fixed plate to a mounting point on the channel centered in the spring circle. Set it up so that one roller is your default (spring expanded) setting, neutral is centered, spring compressed puts the other roller on the wheel. Use a small T-handle lever "shifter" mounted on the top bar just behind the front forks, and a cable to the friction drive assembly. Set up with positive lock detents on the T-handle shifter (sinple side loading on the T-handle by a small compression spring and a notched mount that a pin on the T-handle engages for each position, and you have a two-speed friction roller drive with a neutral position. Centrifigual clutch on the engine, pedal to 8-10 mph and engage low gear, engine pop starts. Coasting just stick it in neutral and back off the throttle - drive is stationary.

edit: As pictured, the red translucency represents the plane of the drive chain loop around the rollers and the engine sprocket, the blue translucent cylinder represents the compression spring. The solid black line rising above the engine mount plate represents the cable.

Sizing depends on wheel size and roller size. The engine mount plate is fixed to the bike like a rack, front or rear, and the rest of it is pretty darned simple geometry. Don't know why no one builds it - if I had a shop and a few bucks, I'd build a prototype just to have real pictures to show you. Keep in mind, the pivot point needs to be centered, but the engine can go wherever works best on the mount - the chain loop is a fixed circumference which will not change as the U-channel pivots.

It does not look easy to me.:whistle:

To build such a device is not a simple or inexpensive task for a layman.

I have no access to welding or machinist tools. I'm a decent handyman. The machinist will probably charge me at least $200...IFFF he decides to do the job.

I DID make an engagement lever. That took some mental/fabrication effort.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive built many bikes of different kinds and I have yet to have one truly freewheel. By that I mean:

You use it as a bicycle and pedal around but the engine chain doesn't move and or make noise.

1. You coast freely down hills and no chains are moving.....quiet! and smooth. The only resistance is tire on ground,wind and the miniscule resitance of the insides of your freewheels, bearings in wheels etc.

2. No motor drive chains,clutches, PTO's or transmissions are turning while you use it as a bicycle. Each drive is truly independant; manpower drive, engine power drive and gravity powered drive.

3. Lastly; this is easy we all do it: You motor around without pedaling and your bike pedals are stationary.

It should pedal and coast so easily it could be mistaken for motorless bike except for the added weight.

Thanks and if you have done this tell us how.

PS: I own an HT with shifter kit and this doesn't qualify for me..
Nor does getting off the bike and disconnecting anything like a friction drive.

A jackshaft kit from sickbikeparts, it brings the chain over to the right side. The chain runs on a freewheel crank so the motor uses the rear gears. You just need to pedal to start. Use the kill switch for the downhill coasting. Use the clutch but the chain still turns if peddling. Takes care of 1 and 3 but not 2.

Last edited:
Still no motor'ed bikes on my patio, but I do have a bicycle with a front bracket freewheel.
Schwinn World Tourist (snagged it on CL this weekend for $50)

I do not believe mine has the original rear wheel (because the rear wheel was supposed to only freewheel when the chain was caught and has a clutch built into it for that circumstance - permitting you to shift while coasting). Mine has both front and rear free wheeling. It would make an interesting motorized bicycle or even a good fixed gear (since you wouldn't have to peddle all the time).

Back