What color lights can we run on our bikes?

ZnsaneRyder

Local time
6:52 PM
What color lights are legal for our bikes? Or does it even matter on a bicycle?

I ask because I see motorcycles with blue lights on them quite often, but in FL, having blue neons or bright blue lights on a car may get you a ticket.

I just set up some bright orange LEDs for the front and center of the bicycle, red LEDs for extra taillights, and green LEDs under my trailer to light up the ground. It looks really nice, lights up the whole road around me in bright green and orange, and cops have been leaving me alone since it looks more tricked out now, and it doesn't look like I'm "stealing" my own trailer.. Also, no close calls with cagers since I have more lights then they do, and they can't help but to see me.

However, the green LED's burn out for some reason, so I want to try blue LED's to light up the ground, but I don't want to risk another BS reason for them to pick on me.

Can we use Blue, or other wild colors and be OK?

Last edited:
All I've ever seen on the road is red tail light, red brake light, orange/ amber indicators, and normal headlamp.

BSA

The actual laws are bound to vary by state. Even municipalities might have bans on some ground effects.

I'm a bit inclined to advise that you don't get too wild with your lighting. In my experience, this seems to confuse motorists. There've been times when I felt less safe when I've tried some unusual lights.

But at the same time, if these lights are making you feel more safe and if the cars seem to see you better, then that's good.

If you can't find out if the blues are actually banned where you live, then you'd best just try them and see what happens.

It's so hard to do the so-called "right" thing, when it's a huge gray area and un-spoken rules seem to dominate here over actual laws.

On a bicycle or motorcycle, SAFETY comes first over anything else, so I want to make sure the cars see me.

I see ground effects sold here in the auto-parts stores in blue, green, pink, purple and red, so it's really unclear as to what keeps you in or out of trouble.

BTW, I first picked green, because that's the most common color I see shining from underneath riced-out civics, integras, and eclipses, so I figure if they can, than so can I.

Also found a Motorcycle lighting forum as well: http://boogeylights.ning.com/forum/topics/692239:Topic:6?id=692239:Topic:6&page=1#comments

And also this for Maryland: http://lightupyourbike.lains.com/

So far, it seems green is one of the safer colors, so I gotta change the LED's to better quality ones. All my other LED's run on the same resistors and have no issues, just the greens, and I know my wiring is correct.

I already have some blues/ambers wired to the car horn, but they only come on when using the horn, so I'm not worried at all about those. It ensures they know that car horn is coming from me! Safety first!

Last edited:
Feel free to put in your opinions and research on this, as all of us here want to be the safest on the road, and also would like our custom rides to look nice as well.

After seeing posts here of folks being clipped by semi-trucks and other cager incidents, it's VERY important, as I don't want to be reading any MBC death horror stories!

Lighting in CA

Hi Guys, and I got to say it is good to see this new topic!!! Thanks to Tom for recognising the value, and making it happen for us!

CA law is, if the lights are BLUE it had better be police, or emergency.

Front is White, with amber turn, amber fog, or amber decrative. NO purple nor blue!!!

Rear RED for running and possily decorative, (excepting license plate white light) and brake AMBER for turn signals

It has been this way since the 1950's that I'mm aware of, with the exception that the amber turn in rear was added in the larte 60's early 70's (the euro look I guess).
Mike

But officer, I use it to check my oil.
DSC00865.JPG

The way I view it that if it isn't flashing, it isn't an emergency. A little low glo never hurt anyone and it does help to bring some attention to my bike at night.

Back