Problem: Robin/Subaru EH035 won't start

While you are at the Shack, pick up some wire and run a line back to the engine block itself so you are grounding directly to the engine and not through the frame.

Just installed my kit and bad switch here too. Guess Staton hasn't heard of momentary on/off switches. You know, the kind with a push button. That's where I'm headed. Forget that cheesy thing that comes with the kit.
WC

All the switches at Radio Shack had exposed leads so I ended up at Lowe's Hardware (Home Depot-ish place for those without a Lowe's) and found a sealed switch that's rated for outdoor use. I'll put it on this weekend.

Tracy

I've always found the Staton switch works just fine, don't know what kind of issues you're running into.

My switch was bad out of the box it stays shorted in both directions.
Since I cant get a response from Staton on either of the other simple questions I emailed I wont bother to send a 3rd concerning the switch.
I will replace it with a momentary pushbutton on a piece of 2 conductor zip cable back at the block as suggested in an earlier post.

While you are at the Shack, pick up some wire and run a line back to the engine block itself so you are grounding directly to the engine and not through the frame.

I had the same problem with my switch. There is likely nothing wrong with your switch. You need to get a ground to the engine like Houghmade mentioned above. I did that and my switch has worked perfectly ever since. You can't ground through your handle bars unless you have an all steel bicycle I would imagine.

That's just the problem. It stays grounded all the time no matter what position the switch is in. Unplug the wire and the engine starts fine. I'm gonna tear into it just for giggles and grins but don't think I'll be using it.
WC

All the switches at Radio Shack had exposed leads so I ended up at Lowe's Hardware (Home Depot-ish place for those without a Lowe's) and found a sealed switch that's rated for outdoor use. I'll put it on this weekend.

Tracy

Tracy, I've got a Lowe's here in town. You got a part no. or pic?
WC

I had the same problem with my switch. There is likely nothing wrong with your switch. You need to get a ground to the engine like Houghmade mentioned above. I did that and my switch has worked perfectly ever since. You can't ground through your handle bars unless you have an all steel bicycle I would imagine.

Actually the fact that his engine wont start "unless" he disconnects the wire leading to the switch means that there is a good enough connection thru the frame to defeat the spark plug.
And since it doesnt matter which direction the switch is set (on/off)this indicates a failed switch.
If the engine wont "stop" with the switch then it could be poor continuity thru the frame....or a failed switch (always open)
The suggestion to route the grounding wire back to the engine block itself is in an effort for an "ideal" defeat.

Back