Motorized Pedalcycles not titled in Pennsylvania

Status
Not open for further replies.

buck

Local time
6:14 AM
I was talking with a fellow motorbiker yesterday about the legality of motor assisted bicycles on the highways in Pennsylvania. We were talking about the many people would like to ride a motor assisted bicycle for various reasons, but are unsure of the legal status in Pennsylvania. He gave me a copy of the Pennsylvania Fact Sheet from the Bureau of Motor Vehicles, of which he always carries a copy with his motored bike. He is using a Happy Time motor on a Schwinn cruiser bicycle. On nice weather days he rides his bike everywhere, including riding to work at the local college. He has never been stopped on his bike, and the Police just "smile and wave: when he drives bye. Maybe this will be the answer for the people in Pennsylvania. I have posted a copy for everyone to share. Thanks / Buck

The way I read it it just clarifies that a sidecar doesn't need a title. Up here a trailer with GVW under 3000 lbs doesn't need a title; so a sidecar kind of counts as a trailer. Our title laws seem to be written so that anything of value gets a title... exempting cars over 15 years old etc. Mopeds go untitled up here.

We've got bugs up our buts about any axle touching ground needing a license plate, as a way to pay for keeping the roads up. So if one tows a junk car on a dolly, it needs a plate, but if one uses a car trailer, the car trailer axles and plate assigned to them count.

Regardless I think you can get away with a sidecar anyway. :)

The way I read it it just clarifies that a sidecar doesn't need a title. Up here a trailer with GVW under 3000 lbs doesn't need a title; so a sidecar kind of counts as a trailer. Our title laws seem to be written so that anything of value gets a title... exempting cars over 15 years old etc. Mopeds go untitled up here.

We've got bugs up our buts about any axle touching ground needing a license plate, as a way to pay for keeping the roads up. So if one tows a junk car on a dolly, it needs a plate, but if one uses a car trailer, the car trailer axles and plate assigned to them count.

Regardless I think you can get away with a sidecar anyway. :)

I was talking with a fellow motorbiker yesterday about the legality of motor assisted bicycles on the highways in Pennsylvania. We were talking about the many people would like to ride a motor assisted bicycle for various reasons, but are unsure of the legal status in Pennsylvania. He gave me a copy of the Pennsylvania Fact Sheet from the Bureau of Motor Vehicles, of which he always carries a copy with his motored bike. He is using a Happy Time motor on a Schwinn cruiser bicycle. On nice weather days he rides his bike everywhere, including riding to work at the local college. He has never been stopped on his bike, and the Police just "smile and wave: when he drives bye. Maybe this will be the answer for the people in Pennsylvania. I have posted a copy for everyone to share. Thanks / Buck
Ppl

Hi Buck, didn't get to see your post on motorized bikes are not titled in pa, link keeps jumping back, mike

um.....what are you trying to say here......? that your buddys bike requires nothing and is legal to just ride....that isnt the case it requires insurance and registration if over 50cc it requires motorcycle license and inspection....

um.....what are you trying to say here......? that your buddys bike requires nothing and is legal to just ride....that isnt the case it requires insurance and registration if over 50cc it requires motorcycle license and inspection....
How would a cop know the displacement?

This is a very old thread and outdated sources from 2008.

I am sure there must have been some changes in 15 years.

Start looking up current laws and stop perpetuating ancient threads...Let them die in peace.

The OP of this thread hasn't even been seen here since 2012...lol.

I am now locking this thread from further replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back