Usery Pass Loop

lennyharp

Local time
4:23 AM
Here are some photos of a trip I took this morning from 6:30 to 9:00 that covered about 41 miles. I did not start the motor up for the first 7 miles as I was with a bike riding buddy. At that time I took off to try a loop I had done for years as a bike racer.

I live at about 1200 feet elevation and the first 12 miles may rise to 1300 feet. Then for the next 6 miles it climbs pretty steady to 2115, never very steep but I pedaled most of that to keep rpm up. Later there would be rolling terrain with intermittent climbs and one 1/2 mile steep climb, before the ride gradually descending on home.

These photos give a sampling of the beauty that I love in my area. I have been a lot of fine places in California, Colorado, Utah, West Virginia, France, Germany and Brazil but none pleases me more than this area just out side of my home. You all probably have similar thoughts of your favorite riding areas.

I am very pleased with my bike and motor and drive system. They all work well together and each part seems to do it's job well. I max out at 23 or 24 miles per hour as a rule. Since Arizona gives us to 20 mph as legal this is ok for me.

Attachments

• up1.jpg
    up1.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 321
  • up2.jpg
    up2.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 302
  • up3.jpg
    up3.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 318
  • up4.jpg
    up4.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 306
  • up5.jpg
    up5.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 279
  • up6.jpg
    up6.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 284
  • up7.jpg
    up7.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 310
  • up8.jpg
    up8.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 299
  • up9.jpg
    up9.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 300
Nice pictures, Lenny. I've always liked Usery Pass. (I'm sitting at work, looking out the window at McDowell Mountain (Red Mountain.)

I have a Staton drive for a Roberts Subaru 33.5 cc with a frame I brazed of Cro Moly to hold it all together on a racing MTB bike from the 1998 era. I grin a lot as I ride and it feels real stable at speed. After all it is built to go fast and handle good and made from quality materials.

Attachments

• md_db7.JPG
    md_db7.JPG
    119.9 KB · Views: 303
  • md_db8.JPG
    md_db8.JPG
    142.3 KB · Views: 307
Hey Lenny!

Driving home from work today, I was thinking about running Usery Pass on my bike. Glad to see you got out there to test the bike out. Let me know if you want to try it again sometime. Unfortunately, the only mornings I could do are on weekends.

datz510,

Let's go at night. If we go at 6PM we can get it done by dark I think. I am working till next week now so that is best I can do. I will just have to get a bright light set up going now. More gadgets, I love it.:)

Bill,

If I can make Usery Pass I can make it over to Fountain Hills. Lets us get together and ride. There are at least half a dozen Phoenix area posters; loquin, datz510, azbill and myself all here and ready to ride. For the right ride I might get a Saturday off. You can ride any day right Bill?

Lenny,

I've attached a map of the area in question, for others' reference.

That loop would make a great East Valley MB.c rally, especially when the weather gets cooler - Say, in the October time-frame, on a Saturday morning... :D We should try to put one together.

Attachments

• UsaryPassLoop.JPG
    UsaryPassLoop.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 261
Last edited:
Lou,

The map helps see the loop area, which is about 20 miles long. Just south of McKellips is Brown road and then Adobe or 8th st. I took them out, but even McDowell works to get to Ellsworth. The direction I took is the easier way to do the loop. There are more steep places to climb going out Bush Highway to Ellsworth / Usery Pass rd. As a test of equipment and rider it is a great area. We need to get planning on an October gathering out here. The Park at the top of Usery Pass is a gathering point except for the cost to get in. There are a few large parking lots along Power Rd & McKellips to start/stop also. Maybe we can get Spunout to ride up from Tucson.

Last edited:
Back