6v lights fed from white line? Headlamps, Turn-signals, brakelights?

It may not be effective to run anything off of the white wire coming directly out of the bike, but listen to this one. If we could somehow use the drive chain to drive some sort of small external generator, it would be far more effective than using the magneto coil that comes with the engine.

Possible Generators:

Bicycle Friction Dynamo

Chain Driven turn over generator, exists in crank flashlights.

Possibly more I havent thought about... but after the generator is hooked up, a battery would also be required to store the energy, the bonus of the generator is simply more power & better effiecency.

What do you guys think?

Sincerely,

John

Revision of my last post: A normal bicycle dynamo would not work because of the speeds (spent more time reading posts) but what if we took the same concept of a magnet rotating around a copper coil, and just beefed it up and made it industrial stength?

Hi guys!
i got one of these engines on my bike and are using and old 40-50's headlamp from an 98cc motorbike they had back in those days here in sweden.

i wired the white wire to an 6v regulator(to keep the current from spiking and blowing my bulbs) from there i have a plain 2.4W(halogen) bicycle bulb in the old motorbike headlamp. then i got a bog standard rear bibycle light with a 0.6W bulb on the rear fender.

This for me works great, even during the dark winter nights it provides enough light to see where i'm going. and more important everybody else can see me so they dont run me over :)

//Heathen

Attachments

• headlight.jpg
    headlight.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 491
  • regulator.jpg
    regulator.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 479
  • rear.jpg
    rear.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 457
  • whole_bike.jpg
    whole_bike.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 444
Last edited:
I love the idea of upgrading the magneto, I'll keep this discussion bookmarked and I'll let you know if i end up tinkering with that particular part...

However, from all the researching and reading I've done recently i doubt anyone has successfully done such a thing... Perhaps switching out with the magneto from a small moped or scooter will work better?

Last edited:
k, I have a winning solution for everyone! Havent tried it myself, but from the research I've done so far so good.

Take a 12V Tractor alternator and mount it to the top of your engine. Take a 12V 7amh lead acid battery and mount it next to your engine, or on a bike rack.

Weld a pulley to the rear axle nut right next to the rear drive sprocket. Run a belt from the rear pulley to the pulley on the alternator. Connect the wires, and run some more wires from the battery to a 12V halogen spotlight mounted to your front handle bars. Output should be around 500 lumens.

i wired the white wire to an 6v regulator(to keep the current from spiking and blowing my bulbs) from there i have a plain 2.4W(halogen) bicycle bulb in the old motorbike headlamp. then i got a bog standard rear bibycle light with a 0.6W bulb on the rear fender.
It's still hard for me to believe that 2.4W light provides as much light as you say it does. I must find one of these old motorcycle headlights!!

This for me works great, even during the dark winter nights it provides enough light to see where i'm going. and more important everybody else can see me so they dont run me over :)
Personally, I think it's more important to see than be seen. Simply because we're not going to be pedaling toward a car with lights that's headed right toward me!! I think more motored bike accidents at night will happen because somebody runs over a tire, large stick, or a huge pothole and flips over the handlebars.

Bulbs

k, I have a winning solution for everyone! Havent tried it myself, but from the research I've done so far so good.

Take a 12V Tractor alternator and mount it to the top of your engine. Take a 12V 7amh lead acid battery and mount it next to your engine, or on a bike rack.

Weld a pulley to the rear axle nut right next to the rear drive sprocket. Run a belt from the rear pulley to the pulley on the alternator. Connect the wires, and run some more wires from the battery to a 12V halogen spotlight mounted to your front handle bars. Output should be around 500 lumens.

Great to have so much good input! This tractor alternator idea is intrigueing and I want to hear how it turns out for you. However, It is not for everyone as you suggested-only those people who both know how to weld very well and have access to a welding machine. Neither of which are very common.

I am still talking with Wolf Child and Mike S. about getting a prefab lighting kit together for those of us without access to a welding machine and am getting good feedback.

Mike had this to say about his 12volt conversion kit:

With the system I have developed, you can equip your lighting system anyway you wish, and in fact we are putting together a lighting kit, complete with everything just like a motorcycle. Next week testing should be complete. Mike S

Jackie from Wolf child had this to say:

will discuss this problem with my engineer , as you know this 2 stroke engine magnetism coil very small ,so we will discuss add a battery ,and charging batteries ,possible or im possible !

Jacky
yours friend
Web Site : http://www.wolf-child.com

So lets keep pushing forward and brainstorming!

Awesome work compadres!:D

i got a 6 volt generator light from target, 2.4 volt headlight and 0.6 volt tailight, i connect both to the white wire with a switch. ive had NO problems at all, i ran this for a year on my first motorbicycle. and i used it on many builds for other people since, its reliable and bright.

ill post details later, im building a bike right now with it, ill detail the install with pics for you guys later.

Revision of my last post: A normal bicycle dynamo would not work because of the speeds (spent more time reading posts) but what if we took the same concept of a magnet rotating around a copper coil, and just beefed it up and made it industrial stength?

The dynamo thing is the first thing I thought of. Yes, dynamos/friction motors do blow out a 6-volt bulb quickly at speeds faster than normal pedaling, but if the dynamo was not hooked to the headlight in the normal way and was just hooked up to trickle charge a small 6-volt battery, maybe once the battery is fully charged, the charge could be maintained fairly well, unless, of course, you really did a lot of night riding. A good efficient solar panel mounted to the rear rack or front of the handlebars could also keep a battery charged if it was in the sun or under bright fluorescents long enough. It depends on how much night riding you do or if your name is Hasselhoff. I'm sure most bikes are stored indoors, so the solar thing might not be practical. As far as a good, nice-looking headlight, Tractor Supply Co. or similar stores carry some good 12-volt headlights. ATV lights are also good. I've seen some round ones with black plastic casing and black plastic protective mesh over the lens.

tractorlamp18349e4si6.jpg

Attachments

• tractorlamp18349e4si6.jpg
    tractorlamp18349e4si6.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 300
i got a 6 volt generator light from target, 2.4 volt headlight and 0.6 volt tailight, i connect both to the white wire with a switch. ive had NO problems at all, i ran this for a year on my first motorbicycle. and i used it on many builds for other people since, its reliable and bright.

ill post details later, im building a bike right now with it, ill detail the install with pics for you guys later.
I'm definitely interested with setups like these, and I'll definitely be awaiting your detailed instructions.

Are you using the generator... or just the lights hooked to the white wire?

Back