motorized Schwinn Stingray modified for adults

Here is my latest build. I had John and Nick helping with this one. We built it in about 8 hours or so, but a lot of time was also wasted going on scavenger hunts for parts (much of which was sitting in traffic).

A lot of Schwinn Stingray choppers have been converted to motorized bikes, but I never really liked the way they looked after moving everything around to fit an adult. This one is a little different (it was already converted to adult size before I motorized it). The stock seat can't really be moved up off the frame and still look like it belongs on the bike. This one has a good springer saddle instead. Also, the ape-hanger handle bars are the best way to get the hand grips up where an adult can reach them. They give it a great chopper look, but really just move the grips up to a normal height without using those rediculous super-tall handle bar mounts.

Like all motored bikes I build, it's a 50cc with automatic clutch. This one has a 36t rear sprocket to make up for the small rear tire, so it can keep up with (or pass) the bigger bikes I've made. There is still minor cosmetic stuff (like re-mounting the tank), but it's pretty much done, and running great.

I don't know what the exact rules are on endorsing vendors, but I want to give credit to Livefastmotors for building an excellent chopper conversion kit for this bike. I am not affiliated with them, and I think it's worthwhile to let forum members know that this is a really well built kit that makes the installation easy (make sure you have extra chain length!).

Any way, here it is. If you want to avoid the problems I ran into while building it, I have posted a lot of build details in the Wild On The Streets area under the same title.

Attachments

• view side.JPG
    view side.JPG
    235.4 KB · Views: 8,351
  • view angle.JPG
    view angle.JPG
    237 KB · Views: 6,498
Last edited by a moderator:
I like it. Very nice.
I like the way that engine is mounted and that exhaust is teh bomb.
I have dreams myself of stretching an old school Schwinn 20" frame with the ape hangers and the booming system. It would play "Jungle Boogie" by Kool and the Gang over and over.
I need a welder already.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice! It's a nice clean installation. I like the plate the engine is mounted to, because it looks like it greatly simplifies the job of off-setting the engine to the left a bit. Did you fabricate that mount?

mount and exhaust

Thanks!

The mount and exhaust are from Livefastmotors. They are part of the chopper conversion kit. Really quality stuff. I highly recommend it.

Hey Blaze! Good to see you back on here. You guys did a great job on the Stingray. It's really cool when enough folks are building a popular bike that someone like Livefast will come along with just the right parts to make the install easier. I looked at the post over in Wild In The Streets. I am sure that will be a great help to others. Your posts on the Switchblade build were a great help to me on my projects too. I just started up the 2 that I built over the winter and aside from a couple of minor bugs they are working great. The ride is a little bit bone jarring at higher speeds though. I just want to thank you again for the inspiration and for posting your experiences here. Peace.

that thing looks pi$$er :cool:
I'm also building a stingray very much like yours
Where did you get that seat post?

Back