Noise-noise-noise

As a follow-up. I wanted to check out the "Significant" noise reduction that is reported at Daves Motors. So, I bought the 1 foot section of silicon hose and clamped it to the outlet of the muffler on my Mistubishi TLE43 engine, and fabricated a clip from a coat hanger to keep the hose bent into a "U". Then, fired up Mitsi.

I DOD notice that the engine was a bit quieter, but, not significantly, as Dave states at his website. Possibly this is because the mitsubishi already is fairly quiet, with its muffler removing the bulk of the high frequency junk. If someone has an un-muffled engine, perhaps they could try the experiment also.

Attachments

• Silicon Tube Silencer.JPG
    Silicon Tube Silencer.JPG
    7.5 KB · Views: 407
Last edited:
I tried that on the R460, which sounds like a chain saw. With a foot of tubing, it sounded like a chain saw with a rubber hose on the exhaust, not good. That is the reason for the muffler of the week club, which culminated in a 12 1/2" glass pack and solved my problem. I did use the silicone hose to make my muffler connection.

You are correct about the TLE43 being very quite. My wife has jumped claim on mine and will fight before giving it up.

Thanks for the laugh kerf! Now what's this "muffler of the week club" and how can I get "one"? Being in a small town, I hate the fact that they can hear me from a mile away.

I Agree

And am holding myself back from building it, because then I will want to take the bike out and the weather here is dismal.

BTW, on that very nifty Mitsubishi engine = low price is current offer.

Also noticed it was here: http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=8192 as well.

Will post separate.

Vizamotors.com = Mitsubishi TLE43 Motor [4207] $265.00
$188.00

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like success...

:cool:

So, I stopped by Ace Hardware, & picked up a lawnmower "pancake" muffler (ref attached pic,) two feet of 1/2 inch copper pipe, an adapter (1/2 copper to 1/2 NPT) and a couple of 1/2" copper elbows. The bundle was $11.

Hooked it up temporarily as per the attached sketch, and the engine/clutch/bearing noise was louder than the exhaust! The little muffler doesn't seem to add much (if any back) pressure. Which isn't surprising, as it was designed for a 3-4 HP 4-stroke.

It looks promising! When I get everything brazed together, mounted, and road tested, I'll report back.

(I'll probably also try the tubular lawn mower muffler also, before assembling everything. It's also less than $3, so, it's worth testing first... Ref Muffler.gif)

Attachments

• Pancake Muffler_.jpg
    Pancake Muffler_.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 385
  • Silicon Tube Silencer w Muffler.JPG
    Silicon Tube Silencer w Muffler.JPG
    17.8 KB · Views: 436
  • Muffler.gif
    Muffler.gif
    9.2 KB · Views: 383
Last edited:
Muuflers

Lou,

Very cool idea.

What are the dimensions?

May save lots fo time and grief. What a good idea...

I'll measure it when I get home. It's about 2 1/2 to 3 inches in diameter; about two inches thick, with a 1/2 inch NPT nipple (intended to thread directly into a Briggs & Straton block.)

(I like to use "off the shelf" hardware if I can.)

edited:
OK - I measured it. The 'pancake' muffler is 2-1/2 inch in diameter by 1-1/2" thick. The tubular muffler is 3-1/4" long (not including the threaded nipple,) by 1-1/2" in diameter.

Last edited:
:cool:

So, I stopped by Ace Hardware, & picked up a lawnmower "pancake" muffler (ref attached pic,) two feet of 1/2 inch copper pipe, an adapter (1/2 copper to 1/2 NPT) and a couple of 1/2" copper elbows. The bundle was $11.

Hooked it up temporarily as per the attached sketch, and the engine/clutch/bearing noise was louder than the exhaust! The little muffler doesn't seem to add much (if any back) pressure. Which isn't surprising, as it was designed for a 3-4 HP 4-stroke.

It looks promising! When I get everything brazed together, mounted, and road tested, I'll report back.

(I'll probably also try the tubular lawn mower muffler also, before assembling everything. It's also less than $3, so, it's worth testing first... Ref Muffler.gif)

This looks great.Please let us know if it works.

Mick

Back