Chain Tensioner switch chain tensioner to bicycle chain

bluegoatwoods

Local time
2:57 PM
Hi all,
I had what I think is a good idea today; I removed the chain tensioner on my happy time 49 cc. pulled the axle back using a 6" C-clamp and tightened with no tensioner at all. Only problem was that the bicycle chain was too loose. So I installed the chain tensioner on that, upside down. (hanging from the right side of the bike, in other words.)

I took photos, but I'm having a hard time getting them into my computer. Sooner or later I'll manage it and get them posted.

Anyway, it seems to be a huge improvement. Starting is now so easy that I believe I could do it pushing the bike while walking. And there seems to be far less stress on the tensioner now.

This is a single speed, coaster brake type bike, by the way. On a multi-speed, derailleur type bike it would seem that no tensioner would be needed at all.

So it seems to work just fine. If anyone has tried this and they know of some down-side that I'm not seeing just yet, I'd be very glad to hear it.

Thanks, and so long for now.

Thanks, Large Filipino.
And did you notice that bike where the guy put a ghost ring in as a substitute tensioner? That looked like a very good idea. I'm gonna have to try it.

Untill it flies off like a Ninja throwing star and cuts an artery in your leg. Just kidding probably would not happen. By the way is it just me or is the drive sprocket on the engine the same pitch as a bicycle chain? Like the same size.

Yes. Anything basically in bicycles that's not multi sprocket in back is essentially the same size chain with the exception to the Old School Schwinn 20 inch 5 speed with the long shifter on the frame. I remember that one. I had one and the chain was thick like a BMX chain.

Chain

Wait a minute, it seems like I heard someone say it is 415 chain. What does that mean. I think it might be the same pitch and things, but the chain is biger, But my motorized bike sprocket is just as heavy duty as the bicycle chain part. I think the chain pitch is the same and basicaly the sprockets are the same width and everything.

Yup. Like I said. People here have been known to use a BMX chain to the engine side.
The 415 chain is thicker and more heavy duty but it rolls the same as a BMX chain over the same sprocket.
On the same note,you can probably get away with using a 415 chain on a non motorized BMX bike.

Back