Build progress & pics.

Front Forks

Seems like a lot of people are using your type of front forks. The Schwinn beach cruiser I just bought my wife (pink, retro with whitewalls and chrome fenders) has the same type.

My Schwinn (I can't remember the name - but it's Gray, hybrid Cruiser/Mtn 18 speed) has "standard" forks with the spring shock in it. I'm guessing that will hold up, right?

Where would one get the pretty chrome one like you have? (Pardon my ignorance, I don't know the name of your style).

Thanks,
Mark

BTW: Your bike is really nice. I am dying to get my kit already...Fedex says Monday - I feel like a little kid waiting for Christmas! :)

Marktur,

It's a "bent fork". I believe your style is better at dampening the rough terrain. The bent fork is primarily for looks, but it does have a "springy" action that is better than nothing.

That is useful information. i would be interested to know the name of the stuff, if you happen to know it off hand.

I seen it at lowes the other day. It's by the tools section. Ask a person there and they'll show you where it is. Sorry,I forgot the name.

Where would one get the pretty chrome one like you have? (Pardon my ignorance, I don't know the name of your style).

i got mine from http://www.spookytoothcycles.com/ but there are other places that sell. like http://www.aztlanbicycle.com/

A friend of mine had a harley that he customized in all black with red accents. It reminds me of your bike. He went so far as to paint every chrome piece black. Something to consider for your bike. It was very striking.

that was the original intention, but i think the guy who is painting this stuff for me (for free) might be getting tired of doing so. you will notice that the exhaust is sanded down, was going to have that painted, but didnt know if it would chip easy from rocks? maybe some exhaust wrap? its a work in progress, as all 2 wheel vehicles are, so who knows where it will end up.

thanks for the comments!

I would just shoot the exhaust with high-temp engine paint...it's probably going to come off from heat, rocks, etc....so I wouldn't bother your buddy, and just keep a touchup can around for that. There's a reason why you don't see too many painted exhausts... :) Even if you chrome it, it will eventually turn colors from the heat.

BTW, I'm actually thinking of painting the tank in bright colors, to help me be seen. There's way too many old folks that shouldn't be driving on the roads here in the "snow-bird" capital of the world: Palm Beach, Florida :) My bike is a gunmetal gray color, which is not really visible to begin with. I'm also going to use lights...reading a bunch of threads on that, but I bought the 56 LED light set they're selling on eBay, and I'll power it with rechargables.

Thanks,
Mark

not to jinx it, but last night i got out the tube of gas resistant gasket maker and applied a small bit to both sides of the existing carb gasket, seems to have stopped the leak. fingers crossed, of course

so one thing that i am really used to doing on my motorcycles is engine braking, especially down hills and what not. i instinctively did so on a test ride last night, i get the feeling the engine isnt very fond of that. is this a correct assumption? is it common practice to just coast down hills?

Hi CherryBomb...I'm not specifically familiar with these engines, but I've been flying RC Airplanes for 20 years now, and I'm pretty darn sure that you are going to overstress the motor if you're using it as a drag brake. We use motors of this size to turn 20-24" props...and the best they do is 8-10k RPM...with simply the drag of "air" limiting the revs.

50cc is not that big of a motor, and is no match for a man's weight...at the least, you're wasting gas, at the most you're taking chances of stretching/breaking the connecting rod and it's bearings/bushings and possibly de-tuning the motor, since it's not fighting the compression and not moving from it.

I haven't received my motor yet, so I'm not sure if the rod is bushed or bearing, but coming from the Happy Times place, my bet is that it's bushed - so there's wear and tear on the bushing...and believe it or not, the rod itself can stretch, changing the compression, etc.

Personally, I'll coast...but then again, there's no hills in Palm Beach! :)

Hope that helps! :)
Mark

BTW: Estimated delivery May 5, 2008 --- I CAN'T GET TO MONDAY FAST ENOUGH!!!!! :)

not to jinx it, but last night i got out the tube of gas resistant gasket maker and applied a small bit to both sides of the existing carb gasket, seems to have stopped the leak. fingers crossed, of course

so one thing that i am really used to doing on my motorcycles is engine braking, especially down hills and what not. i instinctively did so on a test ride last night, i get the feeling the engine isnt very fond of that. is this a correct assumption? is it common practice to just coast down hills?

You should always disconnect he clutch when going downhill, otherwise you can overstress the bushings or even snap the con rod. These little engines don't like engine braking!

Back