Build progress & pics.

may be missunderstood

Hi Cherrybombking hey sorry about the way I wrote some of my last mail. When I said do you think it is worth the effort, I was talking about putting rubber on the engine mounts as thats what I was thinking about doing to mine. I am definately going to put some on the clutch cover. But I'm sure your bike as a whole will be well worth the effort. Just want to know if you think putting rubber on the engine mounts is worth doing or do you think it would make much difference?????

wasnt too keen on the idea of the mounts having no insulation between them and the frame, as i've read that the vibes can cause the mounts to dig into the frame after awhile. have also read that some types of rubber mounts cause the engine to shift or rotate some, causing the drive chain to misalign. so my solution to both problems was to work in a few thin, but sturdy, rubber pieces into a multi-point (drill free) mount, hopefully resolving both issues at the same time. so at this point, all i can do is hope that it's going to work. and if it doenst, my only loss is some electrical tape and an old, used inter-tube that a bike shop gave me for free.

pics of mounts, just to give you an idea.

Attachments

• Mount_1.jpg
    Mount_1.jpg
    305.6 KB · Views: 288
  • Mount_2.jpg
    Mount_2.jpg
    289.6 KB · Views: 307
  • Mount_3.jpg
    Mount_3.jpg
    262.4 KB · Views: 288
Last edited:
They make a rubber coating that is put on the ends of rope for sale boats and more commonly put on wrenches and other tools handles. Just dip the parts in the jar and let 'em dry, it leave about a 1/16 to an 1/8 of an inch of rubber on the part. That could work well for your mounts, if they are keeping you up. I was lazy and just wrapped the frame in a little cloth where the mounts touch hasn't slide on me yet...

Update

New pics.

Tank mounted, CDI mounted, shot of both sides of the mounted engine. and then some shots of it all put together. didn't get to test fire last night, was late when i finished and i have no idea how loud the hacked off pipe will be.. so decided not to wake the neighbors. wish me luck on a successful start.

thanks to everyone who has contributed to the boards, the info on here was invaluable.

Attachments

• tank_2.jpg
    tank_2.jpg
    289.9 KB · Views: 251
  • CDI.jpg
    CDI.jpg
    278.4 KB · Views: 325
  • Engine_4.jpg
    Engine_4.jpg
    437.2 KB · Views: 291
  • Engine_5.jpg
    Engine_5.jpg
    441.5 KB · Views: 290
  • Complete_1.jpg
    Complete_1.jpg
    502 KB · Views: 333
  • Complete.jpg
    Complete.jpg
    397.2 KB · Views: 310
  • Complete_2.jpg
    Complete_2.jpg
    510.5 KB · Views: 318
it runs! there was some clutch and electrical tinkering needed, and i seem to have a tiny bit of fuel seeping out of the carb, but it fired! took it up and down the street a few times, and then got it to sit and idle for awhile, very fun.

The Night Train!

A friend of mine had a harley that he customized in all black with red accents. It reminds me of your bike. He went so far as to paint every chrome piece black. Something to consider for your bike. It was very striking.

Back