Engine Trouble Engine wont start? TROUBLESHOOTING GUIDE

Check and make sure your carb is on good (an o-ring in there works wonders) and your filter is clean. (If filter is off, it might not start/run-the idle circuit hole depends on a little drag) disable the kill switch (but make sure your clutch is working well and bring a pair of gloves and rubberized pliers). Ride that sucker down a steep hill and try to crank it over and start it. If it starts and runs, you can kill it by pulling the spark boot off. Don't try reattaching the killswitch (ZAP).

PS don't forget to open the throttle when starting.

At this point I might even start shaking a dead chicken over my bike to get her to work. ? I will try the o-ring sometime tomorrow. I havent ever had a fuel filter (Always run fresh clean gas trough it) but i can try that. I havent had the kill wired up for a few weeks now. I wanted to get it running first.

How can i tell the clutch is working properly? Ive adjusted it so when the clutch is locked (I think you all know what i mean) it is just below the friction point. and may i ask what the pliers are for? haha

Have you checked the in tank filter?? They are small and will clog up.

Hiigel

If you don't have a killswitch, you can kill the engine by using the rubber-handled pliers to remove the spark boot while the engine idles and you are stopped. Do it with no insulation and you might get quite a zap, which feels like a hot needle jabbing you and might cramp your hand on the boot if your hand is sweaty.

(shortened quote) And may i ask what the pliers are for? haha

Jet

lilsmokey, The only thing I haven't heard mentioned yet is the jet. If it sat for a while it might have a little junk clogging the jet. Drop the bowl, Unscrew the jet and or jet tube and look through it. ANY little POS can screw with your engine. You can unscrew the jet from the tube to get a better look. I don't know why I didn't think of this right off the bat, Thats the first thing I usually check when an engine is running like carp. I went quickly through the posts and didn't see it mentioned, maybe it was?
If you've already done this, NEVER MIND.
Big Red.

Runs like carp.

I have to peddle mine to about 15 and then it will run but runs like ****. what do you guys think?
Too little information. Old or newer engine? Chinese or ngk spark plug? ect, ect, ect. BUT, I always start with the simple stuff first. USE A GOOD PLUG. Like the NGKB6HS. Check for a good spark, then check the output of your coil and CDI. a weak coil and sometimes a weak cdi will make a bike run like carp. check the color of your plug, it should be tan, Not black (running rich), Not white (lean), TAN. Check for air leaks in the intake. I just dribble a LITTLE water on both sides of the intake fitting while it's running. an air leak will suck in water and almost kill the engine. After you do all of this get back to us with any results. Good Luck.
Big Red.

Well I finally got spark, but it wont fire, and when I pop the clutch the motor brings the bike almost to a full stop, and its next to impossible to peddle. Any suggestions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back