Engine Trouble Engine wont start? TROUBLESHOOTING GUIDE

Mag or Coil?

That was gonna be my next question, Did ya ever have the magneto off? The magneto key at TDC should be at about 2 O'clock with the mag almost, (not quite) level.
If yer getting spark it's probably not the CDI, But thats not 100% FER SURE either. I still think ya got a weak coil. Yeah. I know, Yer getting spark. But like I said, I've been fooled like that a million times.
Drain all the old fuel mix out of the carb, clean it and try again. If the mag is set right and yer getting a "GOOD" spark then it should POP.
Put a coil on order. It's only $12 or so and yer probably gonna need one eventually anyway.
Went through it like this for almost two weeks with another guy. Turned out he forgot to put fuel in the tank. I fell down laughing so hard I almost peed myself. SO, GAS IN TANK, PETCOCK ON.
Red.

The mag with piston at TDC should look like this.

Attachments

• magnet4[1].jpg
    magnet4[1].jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 460
Last edited:
I need help.

I was cruising my bike and out of nowhere it stopped kicking. I could hear the engine "on" But there was no kick/push.

I tried to restart and I kept peddling and peddling while the engine was running but non start. Maybe one or 2 kicks.

I checked wiring, spark plug test, and it lit up.

Can't figure it out.

Oh and it's a 66c skyhawk

EDIT--- UPDATE---

So I noticed it has an "alloy shifter" Thing.
I remember playing with the bike shifters before it went down. I didn't know this shifter was connected to the motor.

I traced it back and it goes into the carburetor. I think moving that around caused it to grab less air, less fuel burning. Right?
Cus I put it back to normal and it did start kicking a bit more.

But then I traced back the throttle wire and it was barely connected I pulled it and it just popped out to wear it connects at the handle.

How do I connect it back to the throttle? It doesn't seem to have any way to attach it.
Take apart the whole throttle and there's something in there that pulls it open as I move the throttle?
I'm going to class now so I can't figure it out. Hope someone replies by the time I reply.

Last edited:
sounds like the little barrel that is supposed to let you pull the cable broke off - I'd guess you need a new cable

Yes, took apart the throttle and the wire snapped off the little lead/metalish circle key that holds it in place.

Wondering if I can melt something to the wire to have it replace or if anything simpler can be used? Silicone etc?

we've still got a guy here in town that has a solder pot hot all day making custom cables - not something that is worth the effort for cables you can readily buy

please help! i recently installed new spark plug, cdi and magento and soldered the wires up. was going fine, friend hopped on it (he is used to riding motorbikes) revved it and dropped the clucth. it went for like 10 metres then died like it was running out of fuel. now it doesnt start :(

sounds like something may have shaken loose - check for spark and check for something blocking fuel flow

Back