Engine Trouble Engine wont start? TROUBLESHOOTING GUIDE

You could just spray it through and around the intake manifold. To also check for air leaks.

But it could very well be compression. :( How old is this motor?

The motor is brand new..never fired once..I do get spark on the grounding test. Nothing happens when I put plug back in the socket...Don't know what to do...???

Starting

First, Lets make sure you're trying to start it right. I have one customer that gets going 1 or 2mph and pops the clutch, Then complains it's hard to start. If yer engine is new it probably has pretty good compression. You have to overcome this resistance. SO, First, make sure your choke is OFF, Then turn on the petcock, Prime the carb real good with that little button, then pedal the heck out of it, get going as fast as you can before popping the clutch, and keep pedalling. If you skid to a stop something else is wrong and get back to us about it. Once it's been running it should be easier to start the second time. An engine will loosen up some once it been running.
Big Red.

Thanks Big Red. What I have done is lift up the back end, and kick down the peddle several times, as I do not want the bike to throw me off, as it does stop abruptly..I guess I will have to get up the nerve to try it your way...Most trouble I have ever had with a gas engine....?

Thanks Big Red. What I have done is lift up the back end, and kick down the peddle several times, as I do not want the bike to throw me off, as it does stop abruptly..I guess I will have to get up the nerve to try it your way...Most trouble I have ever had with a gas engine....?

I can sometimes start a bike that way also, It's not the easy way. The compression of even an older engine is too much to start most bikes this way. and I'm startin to get a little too old to do things the hard way.
Even if the tire locks up it's just gonna skid some. Not enough to "throw" ya over the bars. I mean be ready for it...Just in case, but it shouldn't be that bad. I'm 57 with 2 heart attacks, double by-pass. a few angioplasties, a defibrilator implant and a BUNCH of other s**t wrong and I can still get a bike up to speed to start it. So go for it bro, I got faith.
Big Red.
P.S. If you can kick down the peddle and turn the engine over, it's not gonna lock up on ya when ya try to start it. Sounds like you've just been going too slow to start.

Last edited:
Well I am 64, and only had kidney stones, tonsils, adanoids and a little high blood pressure, slightly overweight, so I guess i can't let you show me up....thanks for the encouragement...

Start It!!!

Well I am 64, and only had kidney stones, tonsils, adanoids and a little high blood pressure, slightly overweight, so I guess i can't let you show me up....thanks for the encouragement...
Me too, everything but the adanoids. And I'm a little big myself. 240lbs.
You built it so don't get scared now:giggle:. Start the dern thing and ride it like ya stole it.:devilish:
Big Red.

Back