Engine Trouble Engine wont start? TROUBLESHOOTING GUIDE

I have my ohm meter set to 2k blue to white is .338 blue to black is .335 and black to white is 0. I have the old style stator loop now. It runs in another motor, but not in this one.
The cdi s are all reading bad however. I set the ohm meter to 20 k and got

Spark to blue 17.00
Spark to black 2.49
Blue to black 12.30

Spark to blue 0.00
Spark to black 7.01
Blue to black 13.33

Spark to blue 0.00
Spark to black 2.29
Blue to black 13.43

Last edited:
Basically my problem is I had a new motor. It burned up its cdi. I put one off a running motor on it. It burned up the cdi. I took the stator loop and cdi off of another running motor. It ran for 5 minutes, and then burned up the cdi. It gets extremely weak spark and only ever fired once. Why is my motor burning up electrical parts?

Basically my problem is I had a new motor. It burned up its cdi. I put one off a running motor on it. It burned up the cdi.
I took the stator loop and cdi off of another running motor.
It ran for 5 minutes, and then burned up the cdi.
It gets extremely weak spark and only ever fired once.
Why is my motor burning up electrical parts?

Did you verify you 'burned up' the CDI's by trying it back in another bike?

I have a new $150 Jet 66cc slant head engine kit from gasbike doing the same thing, just don't want to start.
It too has a dummy white wire with the blue, that is just for the kill button like old drawings show.

I like to test ride with the stock wiring before I replace it with much better stuff and this is why.

Mag shows 320Ω and good ground to the head.
The only measurement that matters on a CDI is meter red+ lead to CDI black - wire, and meter black - lead to inside the spark plug cap.
I get 7.18KΩ so all good in electronics.

Dicked with this all day yesterday so I need to solve it today.
I am suspecting the magnet and how it relates to timing.
I'll let ya know what fixes it.

this could be just a run of bad luck combined with the poor quality control of the CDI manufacturers

I have no info about who makes the CDIs or if some are better than others - so far, my supplier is replacing CDIs for me when they die in first 5 minutes or so.

your mag measures good, so get a new CDI & carry a spare

Same motor kc. 66cc jet slant head. No, I did not put the bad parts back in the old bike. Crassius I thank you for your help, but this motor is taking parts that are good, and making them bad. The common denominator is the motor. Not the cdi.
I already burned up 2 cdi units, buying 2 more is a waste of money until I figure out why the motor is killing cdi s.

I have three bikes now. A 49cc China girl on a mountain bike frame i found in a scrap pile, an old 66cc straight head something , I think it might be a skyhawk or a happy time, on a west coast choppers cruiser frame and a 66cc jet slant head I got for the extra power I need because it's on a 10 foot long 21 speed chopper. That's my problem child. Crassius I kind of chuckled a bit when you said I need to get a 10 foot long chopper up to 20 mph and then start it. Nothing against you, you had no idea. But I can see that being a bit of an issue. Lol

Last edited:
the 20mph start was not a fix, it just shows that current CDI units are going weak without totally failing like they used to - I don't know what's causing it, but seeing a lot of bad ones lately

were I you, I'd take a good one off a bike that's been running well for a while and try that instead of putting another recently made one on

Same motor kc.
66cc jet slant head.
No, I did not put the bad parts back in the old bike.
Well, this'll teach me to not buy another budget 2-stroke engine kit again, as if I didn't already know.

I have built and sold 68 2-stroke bikes, ~60 of them were real Skyhawk engines from the Yuan Dong engine factory, all but one, well maybe 2, started on the very first try and it wasn't the engines fault.

I am just glad to be moving away from 2-stroke best I can, unlike everything else they are getting worse not better.

I got this Jet 66 to run with new carb but it's still crap, waiting for it cool off so I can pull the cylinder.
Sucks spending all this time on an awesome $1,700 3 speed Silver Fito shifter just find out it's a bum engine.

That's why I have three dead cdi s. Lol. The 49cc is down with a bad piston ring, and the other 66 now has a bad cdi and no stator coil. The new motor has my old stator, and is still burning up electrical. I checked the timing, and tuned the carb when I had it running. It's not fuel and it gets plenty of compression. I have replaced every component of the electrical system, and ran the parts around the block with my other, running, motor with no problems. There is something wrong with the motor. Not the stator or the cdi.

I put one of my old motors back together. The new motor did in fact fry every piece of electrical I have. What a piece of ****. I'm extremely dissatisfied with the crap you guys are selling as a motor. It's more effective as a paperweight, and the troubleshooting team seems more interested in having me buy more parts than actually fixing the problem. I'm sending this motor back, but not before I fill the block full of vasoline. I have wasted weeks of my time trying to fix a dead motor, it's the least I can do to waste time on the other side.

Have you actually looked at the reviews for your "new and improved" magnetos? They have crap reviews, and a lot of people have issues with them. Get off your high horse dude, start putting out a quality product instead of focusing on robbing people.

Back