Engine Trouble Engine wont start? TROUBLESHOOTING GUIDE

I am working on the bike now. Side plate off and the magneto cant be put on any other way so thats not it. I had the head off earlier today to clean the top of the piston off. Lots of carbon buildup! I used some rough steel wool on it and got about half of it off and the rest i couldn't get off. But when the head was off i noticed there was no gasket. And this being my first motor-bicycle engine i didnt know whether it came with one or not. Should i make one? And in the next few days in my free time if i couldnt get the bike running (Good) i was planning on stipping down the engine and checking everything out.... but that was a last resort.

Any other ideas of problems it could be?
Also anyone know the factory adjustment for the carb needle hheight and idle adjustment?

ive heard of plugs that wont spark under compression so just in case ill try a new plug (That i know works) and see if she fires.

And I cant go back to stock setup. Previous owner (Brother) left the side plate (Left side: Magneto loon and magnet) loose during fall, winter and spring. The inside of the case was rusted and the magneto got alot of water ware. It did run when I got it. It got about a weeks worth of use.

After that week of riding the plug wire came off. I Gave the bike a new CDI That came when i was out of town. So I called up a friend and had him wire it for me. I think a Color blind man could have done a better job at the wiring. He wired it like this...
-Blue-Yellow/red
-Black-Ground/Frame
-White-Green

I gave him **** for it. It shorted out the CDI and the magneto. Thats when I bought the new CDI and magneto and thats where i am not. How i wired it for now.....
Engine-CDI
Blue-Blue
Black-Black
White- plug cap tucked under the frame.
I havent wired the kill button yet. Im trying to get it running first.

If the factory forgot a gasket, and it runs, you are lucky. The gaskets are typically aluminum, maybe 5/1000". See if it has just stuck on the cylinder.

They are only a few bucks from MB parts dealers and many kits come with extras.

I am working on the bike now. Side plate off and the magneto cant be put on any other way so thats not it. I had the head off earlier today to clean the top of the piston off. Lots of carbon buildup! I used some rough steel wool on it and got about half of it off and the rest i couldn't get off. But when the head was off i noticed there was no gasket. And this being my first motor-bicycle engine i didnt know whether it came with one or not. Should i make one? And in the next few days in my free time if i couldnt get the bike running (Good) i was planning on stipping down the engine and checking everything out.... but that was a last resort.

Any other ideas of problems it could be?
Also anyone know the factory adjustment for the carb needle hheight and idle adjustment?

ive heard of plugs that wont spark under compression so just in case ill try a new plug (That i know works) and see if she fires.

No head gasket would mean a loss of compression thus no combustion. Just because you have spark does not mean enough combustion to run.

I have learned a few lessons with these motors. Yes, they are simple, and yes, they can be downright frustrating. When they run well, they are as fun as heck, but when they aren't, they can be a compelling reason to go to a four stroke.

Being in Oregon, and only being allowed up to 35 CC, Golden Eagle may get my next order. I hate the idea of a rear mount motor though. I am 260+, and with my bike the way it is, we go about 320 or so, and I'm not sure a 35 CC is going to move me as well. I see they offer a front mount option as well, so maybe this will work for me.

Hiigel

Get a 4 stroke pull-start engine and a frame-mount chain-drive from www.thatsdax.com

No head gasket would mean a loss of compression thus no combustion. Just because you have spark does not mean enough combustion to run.

I have learned a few lessons with these motors. Yes, they are simple, and yes, they can be downright frustrating. When they run well, they are as fun as heck, but when they aren't, they can be a compelling reason to go to a four stroke.

Being in Oregon, and only being allowed up to 35 CC, Golden Eagle may get my next order. I hate the idea of a rear mount motor though. I am 260+, and with my bike the way it is, we go about 320 or so, and I'm not sure a 35 CC is going to move me as well. I see they offer a front mount option as well, so maybe this will work for me.

Hiigel

Head gasket was there but the gasket between the cylinder and the transfer case (Or whatever its called on these small engines) had about half of it decayed. So Im making one now and going trough the top end of the engine.

I would like to get a 4 stroke engine sooner or later but as I am now all of my money is going into my 1971 F250.

Ill post pictures of the engine, piston, sleeve etc when i get the chance. Also some pictures of the overall bike to see what you guys think of it.

PROBLEM FOUND!!!

Flooded crankcase due to float level in carb. Ive been draining gas out of the crank case for the last 20 minutes drip after drip. Ill get it back together and start her up!!!

Carb Flooding

And heres another good one. It took me a while to figure this one out.
I couldn't figure out why the carb kept drip,drip,dripping no mater what I did. Float adjusted a bunch of times and still DRIP.
I got to looking closer at the carb and, darn, the two tabs that the needle valve slides into were hitting the bottom of the valve inlet not letting the needle seat properly. A slight bend and no more drip.
I haven't seen this happen but a time or three, But just to let everyone know, it does happen. I've marked the inlet in blue where it hits. It's a bad pic but I marked the two tabs also.
Big Red.

Attachments

• 035.jpg
    035.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 595
Nevermind problem not found. Its still not trying very hard. I dont know what else to do. It has compression it has a spark and it has gas. What else can I do?

Back