police

marttino

Local time
7:57 AM
hello i am a new member i just bought a engine kit for my bike.i live in winnipeg manitoba. i was wondering if any body has been stoped by the police on one of your bikes yet and if so did the police let you go.

Hi, Marttino and welcome to the site, after you read this please go to the introduction section and say hi to us. It's just one of those things and I'm just trying to help you out.
As for police, I would say that they never bug us but I think it all depends on how you ride. I live in a very small town and drive past both the OPP and the local cops. I just always pretend to peddle my bike and follow all the rules of the road. When I see them first I kill the engine and start to peddle and even stand up to make it seem like I am really working to move....lol. To put it another way.....Don't be like that 14 year old teen racing down the street on his pocket bike- be road smart, smile at pedestrians and never give anyone the reason to report you.

cooltoy thankyou for the info . i work for home care and i drive around alot from client to client so i thought to save money on gas if i buy one of these kits. i have tryed to register the bike but they will not . they say you can drive it with out registering the bike becaues it under 49cc.they cannot register the bike becaues the bike frame does not have a compliant lable saying that the engine kit is compatible with the frame which inturn means not road worthy.i just want them to leave us alone.

Treat it like a bicycle and you'll be okay. Stay on the side streets.
The money saved beats all the hassle.

That whole 49cc and under thing is really stupid and I think that is an old, old law that was never taken off the books. The bottom line is that it is a motorized vehicle. period.
I think part of the reason we seem to be left alone is because now that electric bikes are legal, the cops are not sure if I am breaking a law or not. The bottom line is that if I were to get pulled over, my motor would be off and I would be peddling by the time they pulled up to me. if you want to hide the fact that you are motorized there are many options. Spend a couple of hours looking at the pics in the pic section. If you go with a kit that sits on the front forks, cover it with a large basket that is used to carry stuff.
Same with a rear mounted kit, make it look like you carry stuff on the back of the bike and that big box on the bike is really hiding your motor. Also search out "push trailer" on this site or you tube. You could look like a guy pulling a small trailer. I've spent hours thinking about this stuff but in the end ,enough time has passed that they leave me alone. Besides, I think my age (50) and the drug problems give the cops better things to do than bug a poor guy making his way through the snow.

*edit* After reading the post from "Large" I wanted to add that the gas money you save will blow your mind. I've used my bike every single day now for about 8 monthsand am on my second litre of 2 stroke oil.
That works out to about $25 in gas for almost a year...lol..lol

Last edited:
thankyou for your info Large Filipino. i am going to pick up my mountain bike today .going to install the kit this evening .

cooltoy my engine mounts just above the crank . i was thinking covering the side some how .so they can't see the engine from both sides.

Sorry, I noticed only after posting that you had already purchased the kit, known on this site as the "happy-time". Yes, I've thought of that myself, plastic or aluminum covers like the crotch rockets have. "Fairings" I guess.
You sound like I did at first, but after a few weeks you will become very good at "stealth" driving and will lose your fear.
All I can tell you is that I've been here on this site for a few months now and I have yet to hear from anyone about being bothered by the law. I can only remember one or two posts about this issue and in the end , they were not charged, having to walk the bikes home. Relax, enjoy, and just stay cool and you will be fine. Like I said , I ride down main St. every day.

So are you still putting it together tonight? there is great info with pics over on the left "Thatsdax". if I can give you a hint, it makes thing easier if you leave mounting bolts loose and install the muffler and chain so that you can deal with the frame getting in the way. At times the peddle arm can hit the muffler as you peddle and you don't want to have to re-do things. Ask if you have any probs. and good luck!

Back