Finished my whizzer ...

I finished my spookytooth kit ... put it on a Schwinn 7-spd beach cruiser I snagged off of craigslist for $60 ( tank is one of Thatsdax's ).

I will be getting a VIN in a few weeks, and will go the legal moped route with it.

I thought I might also post a pic of my e-bent while I was at it.

Attachments

• jaguar.jpg
    jaguar.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 1,679
  • e-bent.jpg
    e-bent.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 1,038
Got my plates yesterday

Got my plates yesterday.

The only hard part was waiting in line for a VIN inspection. First appoint took 2 weeks, and was canceled when the inspector called in sick. Next one was 2 weeks later, and everything worked out fine.

Handed the inspector a notorized certificate of fact ( a statement by me that I owned the bike and the engine kit, and built this custom moped myself ). He read off the bike's serial number, made that the VIN, and asked a few questions ( wanted to know top speed and engine displacement. 30 MPH and 49cc are the correct answers for Mopeds in WA ).

Stamped everything, and sent me to the DMV across the street. $165 later ( VIN fee, plus Registration fee, plus plate fee, plus vehicle tax on a $450 moped ), I had my tags.

Add another $77 to Progressive for insurance, stick a fork in it, and call it done.

I did have a State Patrol cop show up out of nowhere and tail me for a bit yesterday, after I completed the paper chase; apparently some little old lady ( male or female ) reported me to the cops for tootling around the neighborhood ....

Dang! It almost costed as much to get that legal as it did to build your bike!
Well it being legal and all,I would seriously look into some gears so maybe you can ride in the middle of the road like scooters instead of on the side of the road.

Glad it worked out man. The fees have gone up since I last did my inspection/licensing- BUT you'll probably save time, money, hassles, and all such nonsense in the longrun. We are now being noticed by the officials more often than not, and so you are legal and have no worries. Though they are not allowed on the bike trails here (you'll get a ticket for that), whereas the electric motored bikes are allowed on the bike trails... But congrat.s on the leagalization of your vehicle!!!

KBarrett,

Does this mean you have an actual license plate that you hang off the back of your seat now?

...I'd like to see a picture of that. :D

Dean

I just love liscenses. Here in Texas you put the engine on the bike and go. The cops give me a thumbs up whenever I pass them. I'm in a town of 22,000 so I ride mine everywhere

So bear with me, I'm still confused. You can now legally ride your Jaguar because it has a VIN # even though it doesn't have lights, blinkers etc.?

I live in WA state and have tried a few rides outside my neighborhood, but have pretty much stuck to rural roads because of uncertainty of the legality of riding my motored bike on city streets if I were to be pulled over...

Got my plates yesterday.

The only hard part was waiting in line for a VIN inspection. First appoint took 2 weeks, and was canceled when the inspector called in sick. Next one was 2 weeks later, and everything worked out fine.

Handed the inspector a notorized certificate of fact ( a statement by me that I owned the bike and the engine kit, and built this custom moped myself ). He read off the bike's serial number, made that the VIN, and asked a few questions ( wanted to know top speed and engine displacement. 30 MPH and 49cc are the correct answers for Mopeds in WA ).

Stamped everything, and sent me to the DMV across the street. $165 later ( VIN fee, plus Registration fee, plus plate fee, plus vehicle tax on a $450 moped ), I had my tags.

Add another $77 to Progressive for insurance, stick a fork in it, and call it done...
This is pretty universal in the States, eh? Or is this unique to Washington? I've never heard of a VIN Inspection place in Mississippi.

So bear with me, I'm still confused. You can now legally ride your Jaguar because it has a VIN # even though it doesn't have lights, blinkers etc.?

I live in WA state and have tried a few rides outside my neighborhood, but have pretty much stuck to rural roads because of uncertainty of the legality of riding my motored bike on city streets if I were to be pulled over...

WA state moped law is silent on what constitutes "street legal", unlike motorcycles. I have no intention on calling the legislature's attention to this oversight.

I have a set of turn blinkers and brake lights ( google "bicycle turn signal" ) ... so far, the cops could care less ... they run my plate, laugh, and pass me by.

On the federal government side, DOT and NTSB are having a pee-ing match over mopeds ... as far as the NTSB is concerned, if it goes under 20MPH, it only needs bicycle brakes and reflectors.

Last edited:
This is pretty universal in the States, eh? Or is this unique to Washington? I've never heard of a VIN Inspection place in Mississippi.

Each state seems to have it's own paper dance.

Ask someone who builds custom choppers in your state for advice.

KBarrett,

Does this mean you have an actual license plate that you hang off the back of your seat now?

...I'd like to see a picture of that. :D

It's on my fender. I'll post a pic when I get home.

Edit: here it is ...

Attachments

• plate.jpg
    plate.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 549
Last edited:
Back