Broken Teeth on Clutch Plate

Just an update, I got a hold of BoyGoFast via email and he said he'd 'try his best to get the parts for me'. I'm assuming that means a new clutch cog, and I'm thankful he's sending me that. I applied some JB Weld to the hold in the engine casing. Are there any precautionary/helpful insights you guys have to avoid something like this next time?
Thanks a lot guys.

I'm going to assume that it was just a reject part. The only thing i would add is to never let the motor stop suddenly by popping the clutch. Even then you would think a key would break before those teeth. Good luck and hope things work out

Suggestion

Hey again, bad news again. I was dismounting my engine to replace the hardware earlier because of a broken bolt, and in the process noticed something horrible, a piece of metal that had broken through the gearbox of my happy time 2 stroke. I proceeded to open up the right side of the engine to find a few broken teeth had broken off the larger cog and punctured the engine casing. The bike has been running, but not quite as well as Jon's, whom I built the bikes with. I'm guessing this is the cause. The cogs do not seem to be that heavily greased, should they be? There is a collection of metal shavings and grease near the hole in the box. We bought the engines off of Boygofast, but not through ebay so that we could get a better deal on two of them. I have sent an earlier email about a replacement chain and he didn't reply, so I doubt he'll do anything about this. I'm including pics so you guys understand what's going on. If you have ANY input that would be awesome. We couldn't have built these bikes without you all and I can't repair it without you. Thanks

I reckon the casting was of an abysmal standard unless you were thrashing the guts out of the motor. I find it really important to grease those cogs every 250kms and the best grease I find by far is the lithium based white grease for marine engines. It's usually white and slightly tackier than standard grease. I take the cover off the right side and remove the spark plug so you can turn the motor over in gear and gently apply the grease in small amounts so you see it spread over the cog wheels. Don't use too much but do it frequently. Keep 4 bikes with motors on them so one always works while the other three are broken. That's why I'm building a 4-stroke honda.

I have another update. After some correspondence between myself and BoyGoFast, he has sent me "the parts" (I still don't know what they are), but he sent them in two packages, I'm hoping one is an engine, but that'd be pushing it. I used and EZ Out on my sheared bolt on the engine casing and it worked perfectly. I should get BoyGo's packages in a few days and I'll keep you all posted.

I have another update. After some correspondence between myself and BoyGoFast, he has sent me "the parts" (I still don't know what they are), but he sent them in two packages, I'm hoping one is an engine, but that'd be pushing it. I used and EZ Out on my sheared bolt on the engine casing and it worked perfectly. I should get BoyGo's packages in a few days and I'll keep you all posted.

You mean "I" used the ezout on your engine.

Well, I got the new clutch disk, but I cannot for the life of me get the old clutch disk off! I've looked through almost every resource here on this site, and I still cannot figure out how to get the disk off. I removed the friction plate, the spring, and then the the nut inside the spring, which by the way was **** near impossible to remove. And still nothing! I have no idea what to do. if you guys have any help that would be awesome. I have to stop for the night I think, unless I figure something out quick, I have a huge drawing due in the morning.

Thanks

with your kit, you should have gotten a strange little tool
it is a gear puller
if you take the center post out of it, you can turn it around and thread it into where the plate came off
then, tighten the center, and it will pull the disc out
this is a picture of the tool

Attachments

• gear puller.jpg
    gear puller.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 267
Hey Bill. Is that the same size as the tool for pulling cranks apart on a bike?

Well, we didn't get a tool that looks like that in our kits, but we did get a tool. I included a pic of what we received. I used it to unscrew the nut on the center of the clutch disk and that didn't to do anything, I still could not get the disk off. I need to be pointed in the direction here, I'm all out of ideas. As always, any input is always appreciated.

Taylor

Attachments

• IMG_1244.JPG
    IMG_1244.JPG
    121.9 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_1243.JPG
    IMG_1243.JPG
    295.4 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_1245.JPG
    IMG_1245.JPG
    216.6 KB · Views: 211
Back