2-stroke or 4-stroke for cross-country travel?

Hey Elvis,

I'm gonna swap to a dual-suspension/dual disc/28-speed bike so I can help my engines more. On a single-speed you can assist at low speed.

I like to be pedalling up to 30-something mph.:D

To pedal along at 30 mph takes a ratio of about 4:1 between crank&rear wheel,based on 100 rpm cadence.Would be interesting&fun to dream up (and build) scheme to relate pedaling effort to throttle control.Then you'd feel like Superman himself.

Hey dui, when I had the engines on my Raleigh 7-speed cruiser, I really DID pedal past 30mph(non-GPS Cat-eye).

And I DID feel like Superman!:giggle:

Hey Elvis,

I'm gonna swap to a dual-suspension/dual disc/28-speed bike so I can help my engines more. On a single-speed you can assist at low speed.

I like to be pedalling up to 30-something mph.:D

Good luck with that.
You should create a thread in the approppriate section of this site and chronicle that mod.
I'm sure there's many here who would be interested in following your exploits.

Dean

I was an engineer with a car manufacturer for my entire career. My advice to you is that only a 4 stroke motor would be capable of making a cross country trip. 2 strokes are fine for around town but long haul they will not cut it. I see lots of opinions that differ from mine but I consider myself an expert on this subject. Take my advice. I am not just a tinkerer I am an engineer and I know what I am talking about. I welcome your replies. Of course if you disagree with me you are obviously wrong. (smile)

Pauly,

Welcome to the forum.
Its nice to read the viewpoint of a qualified professional.

Could you please explain in a little more detail, why exactly a 4-stroke design is a better choice for cross-country travel, than a 2-stroke design?

Dean

for anyone who knows engines and about the all important thing called torque...for a cross country trip going up mountains towing 70 pounds of gear...the only way to go is with a 4 stroke engine. My wife and I ride a tandem with a 49cc, 4 stroke engine. We go up hills with no pedaling on our part. Ask anyone on here who has gone to the bike rally at Jay's in Lebanon Pa..they can verify this.

I am kinda new here, but I do know that 2 cycles dont really like to start in the cold. My weedwacker, snowblower, and leaf blower do not start without some form of starter fluid below 32 degrees. I find that 4 cycles dont want to start that well below 0.

For other than "I think" "I'd go with", read "bamabikeguy" profile, I believe he has the documented record here for long distance stuff.I looked and couldn't find the exact quotes, the one that kept me using 2-strokers for anything over 100mi (out, 200 round) was, "as long as you have gas with a 2-stroke you have lubricant" meaning, there is no oil pressure/heat gauge, something goes wrong, you're going to find out the hard way.Also for long trips (200+), it's adviseable to change the oil in the little pumpers, would you rather change oil on a trip, or mix a little?
I use my eho for short trips, I use the tanaka for long trips, and carry mixed gas.

Back