Slow Start to my build-Logging.

Ok, I hope it's ok to weld onto the front down bar.
The bike's sticker say it's Hi-Tensile Steel Tubing.
The brand is GREACROSS, I think they were a good Aussie bike in their time according to a few Googles.

TiAd

Today's work,
Got most of the higher quality nut's, bolts and allen key bolts where possible.

Slight change of plans to fit the engine,
I'll have to use the "drill into front down tube" of the 27" frame option.
For the space or clearance between engine and front down-tube, I was able to score some H/Duty round rubber mounts instead of filling the gap with heaps of washers on the centre bolt.
To line up the excact centre of the where the hole will be drilled, most of my time today was making a special tool, like a sort of pin punch that bolted onto the fron part of the engine mount. When the motor seemed lined up square, the pointy end of the punch was able to pin a mark on the frame, precisely where the bolt hole will be drilled.
To make the tool, all I had was a angle grinder, bench grinder ( unbolted on a kitchen table) and grinded a old bolt into shape and length till it fitted so to make the pin mark perfectly centre, and the height of the engine within the V corrected so the left pedal missed the the clutch lever plate cover when it rotated.
Did not have time to go get this camera, yet.

Good to hear you guys got back alright and didn't have to push back. I always keep some master links on me just incase my chain pops hopefully i'd be able to repair it for the ride home.

I worked on the bike today, had a few snags lining up the engine so it's square with the bolt thru the front downtube and the rear mount.

This is how it panned out;
Front Mount:
The hole I drilled is OK, by drilling a small hole with a 1/8" drill bit.
It drilled OK with no "special effects".
But using rubber dampers on either side of the bolt may cause a slight miss-allignment when tightening due to the rubbers compressing.
I then made shims from large washers to take up more slack by grinding both sides of the washer and got the engine square with the rear mount.

But the plate provided with the 3 holes, the centre hole where the bolt goes through, I need to grind the inside so it's rectangle and this will allow for fine adjustment by sliding the plate a fraction, so the 2 engine bolts line up square on either side. I want to avoid forcing the engine square by tightening, I'd rather have it all square and the tightness of all bolts is to hold the engine, not to sqaure it up, especially if a hole was drilled through the front down tube.
Just a bit more time, but not a problem.

Rear mount:The block piece between the rear mount and the engine I have added some leather to further take up some slack. I used a old leather trouser belt and cut 2 pieces. It fits square and tightens up OK.

Cosmetics:
I fitted the Allen Key type bolts onto the engine covers on both sides, it looks a real treat and makes the engine look cool with black Allen Key bolts on alloy.

Rear Wheel:
I started to thread the rear wheel bolts with the sprocket, but I must have made a error of judgment when I purchased the Allen Key bolts, they seem too long, I'll go and get a new set and keep the ones I got for some other use.

Conclusion so far:
I think "China" ought to supply the plate with the 3 holes, the centre hole to be rectangular to allow for adjustmet by way of sliding through the centre bolt if that is the option.
On a 27" wheel frame you need to have that option cos if the engine is too low, the left pedal hits the bottom of the Magneto Cover Plate.

Other than these minor hicups, I see no problem,yet.

Camera:
Ongoing issue, I saw one for $150.00 at a pawn shop.
I think I'll wait a bit more or borrow one.

Sounds like it's all coming together...the only thing i'm not keen on is that 2 piece leather belt cos i think you'll be continually taking-up slack as the engine vibrates and compresses the leather.It'll be an annoyance and you'll have enough of them initially.
Aluminium spacers are good and if u can get the thickness one single spacer...use the spacer/spacers and the supplied engine mount with rubber inner tube between that and the frame.

Today

Motor is now bolted and secure onto frame.

Got several pics but the file size of each is too large for the forum's file upload limits.
How does one upload their pics. correctly ?

AHaaa !
Got it, gotta rush, but will get back to it later
Pic 1 and I'll put in the rest later

Attachments

• tn_1-pedal height.JPG
    tn_1-pedal height.JPG
    13.6 KB · Views: 202
Some of the build stage pics so far, got the Allen Key bolts on the engine covers.
Since these pics where shot, I have adjusted the plate so it can slide on the centre bolt.
The engine then lined up to fit the 2 side bolts.

Attachments

• tn_Bike Stand Front View.JPG
    tn_Bike Stand Front View.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 201
  • tn_Bike Stand Side View.JPG
    tn_Bike Stand Side View.JPG
    26.9 KB · Views: 196
  • tn_2A-bolt-plate sqaure.JPG
    tn_2A-bolt-plate sqaure.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 203
  • tn_2B-bolt-plate sqaure.JPG
    tn_2B-bolt-plate sqaure.JPG