Brakes coaster brakes

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Unregistered

I'm new to motorized bicycles and was wondering if the single rear coaster brake on a single speed crusier has enough stopping power?

I think a single brake is not enough to bet your life on. Especially a coaster brake. If you had a chain part, you'd have no brakes but your Fred Flintstones. :D

I'd add a front caliper brake at least.

I recommend adding a front brake as soon as possible. A coaster brake generally won't stop you in an a sudden emergency stop, plus if your regular bike chain breaks or jumps off the sprocket....you'll have no brakes at all. Spooky Tooth sells a nice meaty front brake kit that will stop much more quickly than a coaster. Best of luck with your new MB.

Do yourself a big favor and invest in atleast a front caliper brake. My coaster brake is sketchy enough as it is, factor an engine into it and you're asking for trouble.

Short answer: No.

Always add a front brake; whatever you can use up front is a HUGE safety advantage in an emergency stop.
Just cruisin' around, yeah, the foot brake is fine but if you need to stop instantly and in a short a distance as possible, you need a front brake.

Now, join up! Register here with a username, a password and post an introductory post as per the private message that will be sent to you upon completetion of your free registration.

:)~

there ya go...we got all 5 of those replies independantly of each other...& i personally agree.

My advice is the coaster brake will stop you - up until it dies/fails ... and then you would be in trouble

my personal setup would be (when I have the money) - front drum brake and front rim brake plus the coaster - depending on the speed of the machine...

I would trust that to stop me up to 35mph plus...

Double pull brake lever for the two front brakes...

Expensive but doesnt hurt as much as the side of a dodge...

Jemma xx

In addition to the limitations of a coaster brake, it's the front wheel that will be most efficient in stopping the bike due to the forward weight transfer. In a quick stop, I don't use the rear brake because the wheel will lock up and just slide. I've lifted the rear wheel off the ground more than once, scared myself a few times too.

twin brake for me works the best front and back at the same time cant go wrong ther i know i drive and deliver on my bike every day and drive it 60-80 mils a day belive me it works out just as well as moding it to fit a drum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back