Prep Work for Building 2 Stroke?

A

angus

Hi everyone! This is my first thread therefore please let me know if I've missed the target with regard to location / topic.

I just received the 48cc 2 stroke from ThatsDax. <BTW the service was good.> I've reburbished an old Murray cruiser (ca 1985) and am getting ready to install the frame-mounted motor on it.

I was wondering whether there is prep work that you all would recommend to make the build easier / more reliable? (e.g. change-out fasteners?) Are there steps that I can take ahead of the actual build?

I didn't see this information via a search; however, point me in that direction if it does exist. Thanks.

Your in the right section and yours is an excellent question.I've never seen any threads myself about this subject but that doesn't mean they don't exist.If they don't exist it's your idea so u start one,if ya like.
Anyway with prepping i just make sure my bike is ALL in good condition(bearings,spokes,wheels,gears,etc) and that the tyres are new(bought for my riding style) and are as bulletproof as i can get them.Obviously the engine fits the frame and other than that if it's second-hand bring it back as far as possible to new condition...IMPROVED. :)

angus

I was wondering whether there is prep work that you all would recommend to make the build easier / more reliable?
Here's a thread that you might find useful: Things you wish you done the first time.

In addition, may I suggest that one take the time to read through as many pages of this particular forum's index; the Frame-Mounted Engines & Drive-Trains forum that is... as well as any others that you may have the patience for. You'll find many additional threads titled in subjects that may pertain to your build.

It is perfectly understandable that you might be chomping at the bit to get this thing built, but take it easy. Your patience will be rewarded in the long run.

Bean Oil answered that question Fetor, all the information you would look for before installation and engine prep. I'm sure there is some inform. , that you may want to know that is not there, but most is , good luck

I don't care if billions of Arnold Schwarzenegger clones answered the question,just as long as Angus goes away with a GOOD understanding of what's involved.

prezactly on all points...

angus: smart start...now, as you learn and have more questions or comments, just post a "reply" to this topic...it'll be your journal, & we'll all watch and help as needed.

meantime, as fetor's become good about pointing out, keep reading :)

have a good look at the "BICYCLE" forum, too. remember, you're about to subject yours to a sustained 30mph & it's not necessarily gonna play nice about it.

and i agree with 70cc, bean's link is a helpful one...read it, bring your questions back to this thread...better still, make use of proper terms as you learn 'em to get even better at searching.

if you'd like to rename the thread to reflect it's your "project-topic" lemme know. keep in mind...the next new builder will be reading this one ;)

now the fun begins :cool:

I don't care if billions of Arnold Schwarzenegger clones answered the question,just as long as Angus goes away with a GOOD understanding of what's involved.

?????? What the #$% i wasn't trying to be and azz. i was clearly stating that Bean had caught what Angus was looking for. What does arnold have to do with it. Geesh a little testy dont ya think. lol

Thanks for the responses everyone. I'll keep you in the loop as I move forward and attempt to post some pics.

Bean Oil - Thanks for that link. It was very helpful.

hot70:
Let's just put it down to a misunderstanding then and move on,okie dokie.

Back