Chain Tensioner frame engine drive chain tensioner

Local time
2:33 AM
has anyone got the bearing type tensioner? i go thru a lot of plastic wheels, as my frame does'nt have the rear wheel slide to tension the chain. i'm a mechanic but can't find a good metal wheel with spring adjustment, has anyone got a link? regards bill

Take your used plastic roller and go to Lowes or Hugh M Woods.
Go to where they sell sliding doors and find a roller that's wide enough.
I dunno but maybe they have one wide enough. How bout getting two side by side?
...I may just do this myself...

Attachments

• B548.gif
    B548.gif
    11.4 KB · Views: 1,117
Last edited by a moderator:
Take your used plastic roller and go to Lowes or Hugh M Woods.
Go to where they sell sliding doors and find one that's wide enough.
I dunno but maybe they have one wide enough. How bout getting two side by side?
...I may just do this myself...
thanks very much large filipino, i would never of thought of a door roller, as i'm a mechanic i'm looking at timing belt tensioners all the time, to see if one will fit, many thanks bill

Let us know what you find. My plastic one's about had it too and although I have a spare,a good metal one would be nice.
Get that part number too!

Let us know what you find. My plastic one's about had it too and although I have a spare,a good metal one would be nice.
Get that part number too!
yes i will, as my rear wheel will not move to tention the chain i'm lumbered with the plastic one, i hate having one as without one the peddel is great you can't feel any friction, regards bill

Actually that is one of the few things I haven't had trouble with, but I would think a serpentine belt tensioner, or lawn mower tensioner would work.

Actually that is one of the few things I haven't had trouble with, but I would think a serpentine belt tensioner, or lawn mower tensioner would work.
ditto it would, you may of not rode your bike alot of miles, but that tensioner is not up to it, it needs modding to give longer life to the bike

ditto it would, you may of not rode your bike alot of miles, but that tensioner is not up to it, it needs modding to give longer life to the bike

First, let me say, I am all for any improvements to our bike kits.

I have used the same plastic tensioner wheel for 4 years now, without fail. I ride nearly everyday. This is the old style, with no bearings.

Sounds to me like you might be running your chain a wee bit too tight.

Is anybody else having problems with the kit's plastic roller? wearing out or breaking?

Yea but I like mine a bit firm cause the firmer the chain the smoother the delivery.
When it's too loose sometimes it locks up or when you release the clutch when starting it wants to slow down or stop.
With a firm chain,it's a smooth delivery every time.
I personally would go without the tensioner but my frame too doesn't have any adjustments. It's a Diamond Back frame.

Back