Just spinn'n my wheels...and not going anywhere...

thanks to all, i think it just needs broken in, because i rode it like 10 mi today and it seems to me getting better but the darned clutch hates me, i cant stop without it dieing and i have played with the cable and flour nut endlessly mabey the clutch just needs broken in? because i have it where i have it (tight) and 1 notch looser and it doesnt catch at all...

I just want to thank everyone for all the replies...So let me give everyone some background info...I can hope on the bike anytime of day, choke it, pop the clutch with in15ft. from where I started and it fires right up (I do need to reach down and back the choke off about 10% once it fires or it will die.) I ride around for a few minutes, then I can start to feel it bogging down ( Try to give it some gas and nothing) So when I reach that point I go ahead and back the choke all the way off, It cleans right up and it's good to go...Now that's it's running at a good temp, it will max out the 22mph within the length of a house (approx. 40-45ft. with the 44 tooth sprocket). It pulls really good all the way to 20mph nice and smooth, No bogging, surging, or vibration, Once i get to about 20mph I can start to feel vibration coming on, and at that point It feels like I've run out of either motor or gear...It just flattens out, almost like there's a governor...Now I'll tell you about some of the set up...I do run a fuel filter, and even during my riding there is a constate amount of fuel in the fuel line (clear hose)...I have "o"-ringed the carb. and while its sitting there I've sprayed it for vacuum leaks(natha)...I even went out for a good ride then came back in and took a plug reading (it was good...I'm not new to 2-strokes...but to be honest the simplisty of these motors is out of my realm a bit.) While I'm riding if I give it any choke at all, it starts to bog...I pulled the carb off to verify that my slide was opening all the way (Yep)...Now as for the RPM's it's turning, I don't know, It feels fine, I even borrowed the carb(with aircleaner) off a neighbor who bought his from SPOOKYTOOTH (80cc) and there was no difference...That when I decieded to try the 40 tooth sprocket (I did gain about 2mph)...Scince then I have replaced the plug and gapped it at .030 and set my needle at the 2nd notch down...And this is where I sit...Beautiful weather to ride in but just no pleasure in it feeling dissapointed in the hole thing...Oh and as for distance, approxamately 190-195 miles...

Last edited by a moderator:
Really as a maximum speed(when it's run-in) u should be getting around 28MPH with very little vibration and smooth acceleration.
Your "flattening out" seems to be mixture related...try setting the carby needle down one notch,that lifts the needle up in the carby slide and makes it run richer.Test ride,and if it improves set your needle down a further notch further riching-up your mixture...test ride.I use a plug gap of .025 but .02 also works great.
Other than that it's a question of trial and error man.

Last edited by a moderator:
How far into the breakin are you?

i've found these HT engines are really TIGHT from new and need 150Mls to reach a proper level of consistency.

I agree.....it sounds to me, like it's a break-in issue. most of my "happytimes" used about 10 to 12 tanks of fuel, before they smoothed out & sounded (& felt) comfortable at WOT.
Listen to your engine...it might be telling you it's not ready to run 30+ mph yet.

What type of 2-stroke oil are you using? Dino or Synthetic?

I'd suggest a search on "break in", but the jury here is still out on that topic. :LOL:

IMO, I think it'll start coming to life after a few more tanks.....Patience & don't push it too hard yet.

Last edited:
Some power boost advice

You can install the carb needle so it sits higher up by turning it upside down and you can make the inlet & exhaust gasket holes the same size as the holes themselves like they should have been if they made them properly.
If you are quite deaf and don't mind annoying your neighbours you can drill 2 or 3 more holes in the exhaust baffles (this will give you noticeably more power by itself) or you can buy a little yoke that looks about the size of a large syringe that screws into the steel inlet pipe and forces the fuel that blows backwards back into the cylinder (this really boosts power) but unfortunately the bearings just can't cope with the extra power and the life of the engine will be shortened accordingly. I gave up doing these things when my garden started to fill up with stuffed engines and I just started slowing down and enjoying the ride. A custom made 36 tooth sprocket on the rear wheel is probably the best solution - you will pedal more uphill but on the level you can cruise at lower revs. When the engine eventually breaks as they all seem to do you will still have your sprocket wheel already installed and waiting to receive the next engine.

I wish sometimes I can take my motoredbike closer to sea level to see what performance improvements I would gain. I'm actually quite happy with my 27 mph top speed,this happening only once with engine maxed out 44 tooth sprocket no less never will do that again Happy Time will never forgive me for that,always brings that up when we fight..but I like to say it maxes out at 23 mph. Then my happy time tells me it likes to cruise at around 15 mph.
You can get a lower tooth sprocket but you lose in bottom end. This is my personal opinion but I like my 44 tooth for I actually need low end more than top end especially for that way cool and smooth little pedaling starting off that wow's the crowd.
You're never gonna wow anyone on these bikes with top speed.
You want top speed,find a huge hill,pull in the clutch and hold on! Then turn around and engine back up that hill.
THAT,my friend,is how to wow the crowd.

Back