Just spinn'n my wheels...and not going anywhere...

S

SMOKN_JOE

I've read quite a few post on how to gain speed and I,ve tried quite a few also...I appear to be throwing good money after bad...No matter what I've done I just can't break the 25mph barrier (actully 22mph)...So I'm hoping that some on out there can give up a few suggestions....:???:

methinks you're needing to get the basic adjustments under control. your stock happy-time should be giving you an easy 30mph with that 40-tooth. so let's concentrate on basic tuning instead of "gaining speed"...

read about the carburetor, mixture settings, spark gap and conditions...learn how to diagnose and fix an intake leak...if someone has time & is so inclined, maybe they'll toss a few links in here for a starting point...while you're waiting, go play with the search engine and see what you can come up with.

HINT to all: every page of every section has relevant info, we've worked hard to make sure there's very little garbage to wade thru, so don't be afraid to go to the back pages when looking for help.

keep us posted in this thread about progress or lack of, hang in there because it's worth it :cool:

How about a detailed description of of the engine's performance? Does it seem to bog down as you accelerate? Or does it accelerate smoothly from clutch engagement up to it's present max speed? When it does get to it's top speed, what does it sound like, is it winding out high? If you flip the choke on while it's running, will that kill the engine quickly?

glad to see some one is having the same issues as me lol i thought i was just fat or its 2 cold (190 lb) and 4 degrees today were gettin i think they caled it a polar gust or somthin gonna last til sat of next week :(

How about a detailed description of of the engine's performance? Does it seem to bog down as you accelerate? Or does it accelerate smoothly from clutch engagement up to it's present max speed? When it does get to it's top speed, what does it sound like, is it winding out high? If you flip the choke on while it's running, will that kill the engine quickly?

not to mean to butt in but for me all of the above, except on 1 bike it accel smooth and 1 it bogs down. i actually have a vid of it bogging, here's the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjFFJfRXdiA hopefilly that will be an example for others if this is like textbook or somthing.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it bogs down, my first thought would be that it may be an air/fuel mix problem.

If it bogs down, my first thought would be that it may be an air/fuel mix problem.

right now ive got it 20-1 with a advance auto synthetic but my other bike doesnt bog and i use the same gas for it, and i THINK the pins are the same (highest setting stock) my minibike does this but it stops once it warms up, this one was running 10 min prior to this vid.

I'm thinking what Van is steering you to is an "Air" to "Fuel" mixture problem, such as an intake leak, either at the manifold to cylinder or carb to manifold. It seems like most builders have experienced problems in those areas.

EL? 20 - 1 is fuel to oil mix. ( just point of information).

Papa

Smokin ?
How far into the breakin are you? Are you using the original spark plug? I see by the pictures of your bike that you took time and care in your build.
http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=8080
But I'm with Augie on this, I think you need to get back to the basic's and make sure its good to go from the start. setup and initial tuning, (fuel filter?). The screen on the shut off sometimes gets clogged and this could be a possible problem too.

Papa

Last edited by a moderator:
Back