Nifty Tools.

jeweler's saws...

Trick with the saws is one, use some stick lubricant on the blade. It'll help it not bind up so much, specially in copper (head gaskets). 2) make sure the clamps on top and bottom are tight. Nothing like a blade going loose in the middle of the cut to cause one to spew oaths! Then, pick the right blade for the work. Thin work wants a blade with smaller teeth. And finally, if you use these on steel, unless it's dead soft, you will replace them often!

Based on many years experience with same, and have been wanting to make one that has swiveling blade-clamps that lock up solid. Maybe someday I'll have enough energy to concentrate well for long periods more than two days in a week.

Otherwise, the best way to make holes quick is a Harbor Fr(e)ight
hole punch, one of those with replaceable punches and dies. They're easy to customise. Trouble is, if you use them a lot, they will get sloppy and horrible. Lathe Time! New pins, ream out
the sloppy holes, button-head screws, and a zerk fitting or two.

I've seen them.Their rather expensive but unfortunately the ones i saw were only for tightening....yours are better because they look to have forward and reverse.....nice. :)

Ok, I missed this the first time around, but that is one of the funniest things I have read all week! :giggle:

i buy all my hand tools from a company called JET. not to sound cool or anything, but if they dont make a set of it, you wont be using it alot anyway. lol

my favorite tool is my genius 1/4" drive finger ratchet set. no ratchet required just a thumb and finger!

2. Jeweler's saws are dangerous; partly because it's a tool that can cut intricate patterns through 1/4" steel plate, so removing fingers is not a problem, and partly because it doesn't look like much, so people often underestimate its destructive potential. But even experienced jewelers have gone to emergency rooms after a half a seconds inattention.

I was once a jeweler. These saws truly are capable of cutting you fast!
At Christmas time we would be too busy to go to the emergency room, so we would just super glue our fingers back together and go on with work.

By the way...Can super glue be my handy tool?

i picked up an adjustable ratcheting wrench today to throw in my toolbox to keep everything nice and TOIGHT! $24 made by task. its definitly a nessessity to keep on the bike. im thinking about whatever i need on the bike for roadside repairs.......... inevitable roadside repairs....... lol

In wally-world last week, I saw a crescent wrench (made by Stanley?) with a locking handle, (similar to vice-grip pliers.) You adjust the wrench snug with the adjusting screw, then clamp the handle, which locks the nut right where it is, in the wrench... Looks to be extremely useful.

edit:Yup - made by Stanley. Just googled it. It's called the MaxGrip.

http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-85-610-10-Inch-MaxGrip-Adjustable/dp/B00009OYGZ

Attachments

• post-maxlock.jpg
    post-maxlock.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 304
Last edited:
Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Back