Nifty Tools.

Jeweler's Saw

A jeweler's saw is an amazing tool. It's a staple and a workhorse on a jeweler's bench, but unknown to many gearheads. Although the blades can be nearly hair thin, a jeweler's saw will cut a 1mm kerf through wood, plastics, and all but the toughest hardened steels, and faster than any other hand tool I know of.

Plus... you can make jewelry with it.

The downsides to a jeweler's saw are:
1. Blades are expensive. The best blades are made in Switzerland, and if you buy them in small quantities can cost nearly a buck each. Also, you tend to break a lot of blades until you get your sawing technique down. (There's a great demonstration of jeweler's saw technique in Tim McCreight's video "The Complete Metalsmith", available at many fine libraries.)

2. Jeweler's saws are dangerous; partly because it's a tool that can cut intricate patterns through 1/4" steel plate, so removing fingers is not a problem, and partly because it doesn't look like much, so people often underestimate its destructive potential. But even experienced jewelers have gone to emergency rooms after a half a seconds inattention.

Attachments

• jewelers_saw.jpg
    jewelers_saw.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 449
I've found this one to be quite useful, when i can find it. I'm not the best at putting all my tools back where they belong.:p
Plus after 38 years of abuse and neglect, I'm surprised I still get a good spark on it. Perhaps I could switch to an NGK BS8;)

Attachments

• brain2.jpg
    brain2.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 458
Genius!

Heres a picture of a couple of hole punches I made out of tubing. The small one is 1/4 inch. The large one is one inch. Used over wood backing. They can be made from rectangular tube as well. An easy way to make gaskets.

great idea! I'm going to make one right now!

Last edited:
Out of habit,I clicked that brain pic. Like I needed to see it bigger.And then it wasn't.

Attached Images brain2.jpg (3.8 KB, 15 views)

I thought I was missing something !
crac ked me up....I want one of those, what planet is it from ?

Pocket caliper. To heck with guessing the size of the nut, bolt, wrench, bearing, etc.

Ah, I have many, but my favorites are the pocket knife (shown in pic.) and the "Acetylene wrench" LOL!!!

Attachments

• Gebe powerplant.jpg
    Gebe powerplant.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 504
pliers/cresent wrench +

1st pic is of my pliers/cresent wrench & ratchet with crank.

pliers/cresent wrench- They have the action of pliers but the jaws stay parallel. They were a garage sale find many years ago. They had little blade and spike at one time. It looked like they were used at a factory to cut and punch a small hole in a hose at the same time.

wrench & ratchet with crank - the action is kind of self explanitory. Use them like a normal ratchet, but they have a handle you can use to turn the socket. Great for tight spots. Made by popular mechanics (stanley) also many years ago. They discontinued it.

2nd pic is my hand rivet & riv-nut gun. They do rivets, of couse, but they also do riv-nuts. A riv-nut is like rivet but has threaded hole like a nut. The pneumatic tool that do this in factory are high $. I never imagined I could do them at home until I found this beauty. This one is a more recent find. Picked it up at harbor freight about 4 yrs ago for $15.

The best tool to have is the dremmel! no pic nessesary. I hope! LOL :giggle:

Attachments

• plyers - cresent & ratchet with crank.jpg
    plyers - cresent & ratchet with crank.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 438
  • hand rivet & riv-nut gun.jpg
    hand rivet & riv-nut gun.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 441
Last edited:
Closed end racheting wrenches. So freaking handy all over the bike, but especially on bolts where there's just not enough clearance to get even an adjustable wrench in there. One example are the bolts that attach the GEBE engine to the GEBE lower mount strap. With the closed end ratcheting wrenches you can make sure those bolts are nice and tight during your bike inspection without removing the wheel.

-Sam

i found a 10mm ratcheting spanner like those you have at my local bunnings for $9 AUD, bought it and it fits most things on my happy time engine and has been an absolute blessing.

Back