My "Overkill" motorized OCC StingRay chopper

I just wanted to share my "Overkill" OCC StingRay chopper (I installed a Tecumseh Power Sports 6.5hp GoKart engine on it, which required serious modification to the remainder of the bike). Besides, in stock form, it's a bit too short anyhow..... Here's a picture of it....

Attachments

• schwinn occ chopper modified 2.JPG
    schwinn occ chopper modified 2.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 13,231
The tank says "Harley Davidson" and the top speed is around 45-48mph. It is a stock 2.2 gallon Sportster tank (early to mid 80s, post-AMF vintage)

Wow, I am putting a 2.8 HP 4 stroker on my wifes trike but it sounds like it would be a underfed animal or else you have yours governed some how?
Doc

Cool bunch of mods on the Sting Ray. Sweet! What rear hub is that?

Thank you everyone for the comments :D
The rear hub is a modified version of a Grimeca drum brake taken from a Garelli Gran Sport XL (aka "Eureka Flex") moped. Most, if not all Grimeca moped hubs (front or rear) can be modified to work this way. After removing the hub and spoke from the stock wheel, I re-installed it onto the Schwinn rim. I then removed the bearings and sprocket, installed a sleeve (my own spare part) and flanged extension (purchased from a GoKart parts supplier) to widen it, modify the drum plate to accept the new thicker axle, properly shimmed and sleeved it, and install larger sealed bearings and axle assembly to fit. Likewise, I ground away metal on the rear dropouts to accept the thicker axle, and added adjusters to keep the wheel from pulling forward from the torque. I also installed brake linkage to the forward controls (and to connect the linkage on the left to the pedal on the right, I installed a brake pedal "rocker shaft" made from an agitator shaft from a Whirlpool washing machine).

Yes, it has a brake pedal on the right.. (if that counts?) I installed a metal pipe with "forward" footpegs.

love it....need details

Aside from the rear hub details (as noted above), I stretched the frame just over 10 inches, and extended the forks using Garelli moped fork legs (from the moped mentioned above). I also dropped the bottom rear tubing that holds the rear wheel, so the chain would clear the frame, and to give it more of a motorcycle appearance. This also lowered the "cradle" supporting the engine, so it would fit. There was lots of welding necessary to make it all work. The gas tank is a genuine Harley-Davidson Sportster 2.2gallon tank. Engine is a Tecumseh Power Sports 6.5hp GoKart engine (with alternator, for powering lights). Front wheel is a 24" rear bicycle wheel, with an Arai tandem drum brake installed (it works quite well, either by itself or in combination with the Grimeca rear brake). OH, I almost forgot, the Comet 2 speed clutch and jackshaft kit (12-1 ratio for 1st gear, 6-1 ratio for 2nd gear). I had to weld the bracketing to the frame to hold it (and I did so in a way, the assembly can be removed for servicing, should the need arise). Waay too much work (I don't know if I'd ever attempt it again, unless I had a very good reason to, .....or if I knew the end result could be made safe and road legal). I'd like to consider a diesel powered bicycle (or possibly even motorcycle, like the Royal Enfield Diesel).

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw on the Tube the enfield motor or the chinese clone are both perfect motors to convert to vegetable oil burners. A lot of work and mony though!
Doc

Back