My next project - Tadpole Trike

I've worn out another rear (engine side) gear. The hardend aluminum ones from Andy work well, but they don't last me more than a couple of years (I know, Im being a bit picky). I e-mailed King's to see if they would make me one out of steel, but haven't heard from them. I think I'll try machining a bike gear to fit my drive. It'll be a bit thin, but steel might last me longer. Beautiful weather for riding.

I've seen on bentrideronline that there was one little company somewhere that was building (rather expensive) motorized trikes with the engine between the rear wheel and seat.

I've not ever rode a tadpole trike, but I have read that a lot of people note the twitchy handling when going fast down hills.

A delta trike always made more sense to me, it puts the two lateral wheels back where most of the rider's weight is anyway--but nobody seems to build them as low-slung as the tadpoles.
~

The trike in question was the Potential Energy Trike, P.E.T. USA, (Doyle Recumbent Mfg.) It is no longer in production, although I got in touch with the guy who built them, and he could build them one-off for folks. It's not his main business, if it ever was.

Delta's are more tippy by nature in cornering are they not? even with proper weight distribution more over the rear axle.

I learned to ride motorcycles as a kid way back in the day on an atc70 and three wheelers always want to trip over themselves in a corner.

I'm about to build a motorized tadpole specifically for that reason, I hear they're better in corners and if you get the angles right on the axles not just vertical the twitchy handling should be out of the equasion or minimized shouldn't it?

Not that I don't like delta's too, I really was tempted to do something like this but with a little shorter nose and pulled back bars:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIystGTCbNI

Last edited:
Wow!

That's one cool trike! And the motor looks awesome!

I'm building an Atomic Zombie tadpole trike right now that I plan to motorize.

I went tadpole because I've ridden Delta and Tadpole and find the Delta design too 'tippy' and it's harder to motorize as far as I can see because you have to either use front wheel drive or deal with the issue of powering 1 or both of the rear wheels.

The main drawback I've seen to tadpoles is that you are so low drivers tend to NOT see you even more than usual.

Anyway, that is going to be one HOT trike up in Alaska!!!

All you guys are right in some respects. My next build will be Delta, full suspension, with a real low COG. On that line, I'm now selling the trike. I spent 2,000 on the bike. I'll part with the whole thing for $2,000. I need to part with her so that I can get going on other projects.

Ib, I'm lookin' for a lower COG than the Timberwolf looks. And Tedd, I haven't seen anything "out there" that fits my wants/needs. So I guess I'll have to wing it.

Thought I'd write a very short review, I changed to using Maxis Hookworm tires, they seem to last longer than the Schalbe Big apples, though they have a rougher ride. Riding the way I do has resulted in my being on crutches for about 4 months a couple of times (leg suck). She's dangerous, but she's fast, and efficient. And fun.
Van

Thought I'd write a very short review, I changed to using Maxis Hookworm tires, they seem to last longer than the Schalbe Big apples, though they have a rougher ride. Riding the way I do has resulted in my being on crutches for about 4 months a couple of times (leg suck). She's dangerous, but she's fast, and efficient. And fun.
Van

Are you using standard pedals or SPD that have the cleats in the shoes?

This is on my mind as I build a motorized Recumbent delta to the point I already bought the shoes and pedals will be next.

Back