My next project - Tadpole Trike

A

Alaskavan

I finally recieved the tadpole trike for my next build. The other things I'm playing with have been killing time while I waited for this. I'll keep working on them, but this is the priority.

IMG_1997_1_1.jpg

IMG_2003_1_1.jpg

The engine is sitting in the auto shop at work. I'll get pictures of the components all in one place tomorrow. I'll probably ride it around a bit before I start cutting it apart. I've already noticed that the steering is quick enough that, with an engine, this may be a dangerous machine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will stay tuned to this build van.

Do you think changing the pivot point would offer safer steering? Just a thought.

Pete, If it's not something that I get used to as I ride, I might look into changing to indirect steering. I could adjust the steering ratio then. It's common on tadpoles.

tadpole

im gonna go to my local bike shop and ride one never been on one so?then ill understand whats goin on!good luck :-|

Tadpole trike Damaged in shipment?

HI Van, I like the color, but you might want to check out this one thing I see. That long straight beam on the bike looks to be really bent almost into a crescent shape?

As big as that tube is I don't think having the chain too tight would bend it like that. Was the shipping box ok?

Mike

Mike, That's the way they are made. My pics may accentuate it. The curve is necessary to get from the back wheel, under the seat and up to the pedals. The tubing is heat treated after the welding/bending process. It's comfortable. I adjusted the seatback down a bit, and it's like sitting in a lawn chair. Where I live is pretty scenic, and with the trike, I don't have to stop and park the bike to take a picture. I just stop, relax, and shoot. One observation, I have one leg that's a couple of inches shorter than the other (a rather uncoordinated, but highly spectacular motorcycle dismount), and though it never made a difference on a conventional bike, it makes a difference for adjusting pedal distance on this.

Okay, here's the parts for the trike. I will have to have some things fabricated, but this is most of it.

IMG_2011_1.jpg

Anybody got a shoehorn?

IMG_2007_1.jpg
Gratuitous scenic picture. Sagway is up in that right-hand inlet.

That Lifan engine assy has a transmission...don't it? You better have a **** fer stout rear wheel. :D

It has a CVT. I'm talking with The Wheelman about getting one built with 10g spokes.

Wow, Van, looks like a lot of machine for that little tadpole. I bet that felt weird the first time riding it, huh?
Now thats a first for me, seeing white sand beaches in Alaska! :):eek:

Back