Home Made Dyno

now if we could just get the manufacturer to dyno tune & balance! i just love the minds in here! gets me thinking!

Hey...Excellent idea about the timer/tach on the rotating wheel and having it all video taped....I never thought of that!...That way a person could do replays and freeze frames as needed to write the data down (time vs rpm)....Excellent....as far a a low $$ way of doing things I believe that would work!....That was my biggest stumbling block....getting the time VS speed data without having to buy super expensive data loggers....Well actually not SUPER expensive in the scheme of things but I don't have an extra $1000 or so just laying around gathering dust! HA
Andrew

here is a pic of a dyno i made - started out as a go-power dyno from the 1960's - i modified it to a roller set up - the roller is connected via a flex coupling to a water brake with a load cell - analog guages read ft/lbs and roller rpm from which horsepower can be derived by division.
willimoto

Attachments

• IMG_1569.jpg
    IMG_1569.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 4,253
Veypor

http://www.veypor.com/veypor.html
http://www.veypor.com/vr2.html
These are for motorcycles

$279.99 for the basic one.
'The Veypor lets you do 1/4 Mile runs complete with a Full or Pro staging light tree. You can practice your technique or just see what your vehicle is capable of. It also provides you with 0-60 timing, 1/8 mile times, top speed, peak HP and Torque, a braking distance test and a programmable roll-on test.'

Pezz :)

Hi All,

I race RC cars (electric) and I know they make a little dyno to test the electric motors....Does anybody here know of a good way to make a dyno to test performance increases as we modify our little bike engines?...Right now I am doing my informal test by riding the bike and having a helper time me BUT in order to make good charts to see performance increases/decreases throughout the RPM range I need a way to measure time to a particular RPM given a constant load.

All the factory made dynos are serious $$....I think the cheapest I was able to find was a setup used to test go kart engines and such....It was about $10K....a little....err lot outta my budget....

I was thinking of getting a bike trainer (you know the ones that allow you to
ride stationary indoors) and somehow rig up a timer and rpm meter ....the timer and RPM meter would be the hard part....the instrument or device(s) would need to log data so that one can make a power curve for the engine....I wouldn't even need it to tell me the exact HP or torque that is actually being developed.....I want to just know the relative power increases
each time I tinker with the engine (i.e. under a constant load if my newly modified engine reaches say 1500 RPM faster than it did before I did the mods I would be happy)...

As far as a constant load, if the bike trainer doesn;t offer enough resistance I could maybe hookup an old engine (small) and restrict the exhaust to make the constant load....or maybe a BIG electric motor could be used to provide rotational resistance?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

THanks!

Andrew

maybe hook up some sort of pump housing and use water pressure for resistance opening and closing the pressure side valve will increase constant load and you could put pressure gauges on it too to see how much pressure your making its just an idea i got from working at a speed shop in chicago settin up there dyno thats all they do !!!!!

Back