Staton NuVinci kit frame mount?

V

vyzhion

I am contemplating a project in the near future and I wanted to ask for opinions. Some have been very vocal in their praise of the NuVinci hub. I finally got my financial aid money (w00t!) and I am VERY tempted to try it out. I was looking at Staton's Robin-Subaru 33.5cc Four stroke kit.

http://www.staton-inc.com/Details.asp?ProductID=3243

However, I don't like the thought of the rear rack-mount engine. Would it be plausible to frame-mount that thing? I was thinking to replace the inside drive gearbox with an outside drive and mounting the engine above the pedals similar to the GruBee Skyhawk II setup. Do you think that would work? I value everyone's advice and look forward to hearing what yas have to say. Thanks a ton. :)

:cool:Hmmmm, from your previous posts, you mentioned a lack of mechanical skills. are you sure you want to pioneer this unusual installation, and have your skills improved?

Vy, you'll be the first on this forum to use FRAME mount, STATON gear chain drive and NuVinci hub.

The NuVinci hub drives both chains on the right side. since the STATON drive sprocket is on the left side, you would have to fabricate a jackshaft to transfer power to the right side.

the ROBIN engine and gearbox is 10" wide, and 11" wide at the drive sprocket. :eek:

even if you were able to do so, in using the outside drivebox, the engine would interfere with your crankset so much, you would never be able to bend the arms wide enough to clear.

the inside drive box would allow you to move the ROBIN engine inboard, but then the drivebox on the left would stick out further and interfere with the left arm.

then you still have to build the jackshaft.

using just the engine with the engine's clutch on the right side to drive the NuVinci would not work, because the ROBIN spins counterclockwise, and the driven sprocket spins clockwise. besides that, your gear ratio would be way off and the bike would travel at 5mph at top speed.

you could probably align the gearbox's drive sprocket with a STATON rear hub and 16t left-side sprocket, but the gearbox might hit the frame, and the engine would interfere greatly with the crankset.

forget this project. it is best left to the highly skilled.

best option is the GRUBEE WHOPPER STOPPER...

Orrrrr the new 48cc TITAN installation that Dax is about to release.

How's your Schwinn Skyliner coming along?

Myron

Last edited by a moderator:
ok ok wow I guess i didn't think this through, lol. This is why I have you guys around. THe skyliner project sort of came and went I am afraid. The gearbox I got with the kit stopped working after 5 minutes of riding. I am getting a replacement but I have really started looking for other options cuz of my disappointment with it. All of the staton stuff seems really well made but I really don't like the idea of the rack mount above and to the side of my back tire. I am very interested in the Dax Titan and I hope it will be available soon. I know spookytooth is working on a frame-mountable 4 stroke system also but I haven't heard whenabouts that might be available. I guess I will try to make the whopper stopper clone I have work but I think that will be strictly a backup for me once I find a suitable replacement.

:cool:Yeah Vy, i'm a little interested in the TITAN too.

too bad about your gearbox giving out.

JMO, your best bet would be to wait for your replacement gearbox, and just run what ya got.

Save your financial aid $$ for...school.:cool:

Back