gas leak need help

A

atcspaul

gas is leaking somewhere from my carb. it happened a couple days ago i woke up to a small puddle undernieth the bike. so i tighned the screws that go to the bowl and thought it was fixed. this happens after the motor has cooled down. i drove home from work tonight and parked it. 2 hours later i go out and gas is dripping big time. i think but not positive it is coming from the plunger button they have on the carb which i have never used before. it is an 80cc motor. any ideas or help would be deeply apreciated and yes i shut the gas off every time i park it

to add to this. i have been having problem with the gas fuel valve. i opened and closed it a bunch of times trying to set up something to work it since the little lever broke off. could this have built presure up and forced gas out of carb. i am scratching my head trying to figure this one out. it is not leaking anymore

rode a bunch this morning and no leaks. guess it was from playing with the fuel valve. who know lol

I tightened my bowl and fuel inlet, only to still have it leaking. I took apart the bowl and found the float had gas in it, so that was causing the leak.

Does anyone know where you can just get a float? I hate to buy a whole carb, when I could just pay a buck for a new float.

dax has floats
if you bought from him, he will help you out (he sent me one for free :D)
there is a seam on the side of float, make sure it is on the top
if it is on the bottom, gas will seep in thru it
it happened to me :eek:
if you let it sit in the sun, it will generally dry out

Gas leak

Thanks for the tip. I will have to look at it and see if I have it in right. I bet that's it!

stinking leak is back but i am 99% sure it is where the plunger (tickle button) is next to the idle needle. it only leaks when motor has been shut down for a while. all i can figure is maybe it dosnt leak when riding or right after i stop is maybe it is sucking a little air in thier keeping the gas from going out but i am just at a lost. any ideas on what to do about the plunger? i am thinking about using gray permitex all around it but not sure if i can get a seal that way. all ideas apreciated

Last edited by a moderator:
I know it's obvious and I don't know if you said you had done it before but are you turning the petcock to the off position after your rides? Maybe try shutting off the fuel supply, running it for couple of minutes (not completely dry) to lower the level in the float bowl before you put it away for the day.

Dan

some ticklers do leak quite a bit. some folks drill 'em out and plug it. but, unless the float IS bad i bet you have debris that is blocking the inlet-needle, allowing overflow...have you done a good cleaning?

yes been cleaning but read the thread on carberators and person said if bowl over flows it will come out the button so gonna check again make sure that the float has seem up and no gas in it. for it to come out where it is the bowl has to over flow i think lol. anyway working airplanes with my mind on my bike. can't wait to get home and will let you all know what i come up with. as last result i will pull the button and close it completely with a screw

Back